Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 6,128 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Will be moving this summer to work in the Ronald Reagan Building. Trying to narrow down to a few locations for one-hour overall commute. Prefer to commute by metro; access to buses is a plus. Want to get to work by 8. Looking to buy (primarily town houses but will consider SFRs). Would like to keep the budget under $600K but can stretch with the right property. Empty nesters so school is not a priority.

After talking to friends in NOVA and reviewing related posts, have been considering parts of Springfield and Kingstowne that are a 10-min drive from the Franconia Springfield metro station. Also have been looking at parts of South Alexandria that are a 15-min drive from the Huntington metro station (get off at the Archives and walk to work). Are there other options that I should consider?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:36 PM

540 posts, read 792,116 times
Depends on the lifestyle you want. Is it important that the townhouse is a newer build? Do you want to be walkable to restaurants, etc., or are you ok with getting in the car to do most things? The MetroWest complex at the Vienna metro is a possibility for new build.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:12 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,983,627 times
I think from many parts of Springfield, it would be easier to jump on the carpool lanes, than ride the Metro. Do you have parking? Will your employer subsidize your Metro expenses, which aren't cheap. I would look in 22044, the Fairfax County part of Seven Corners/Falls Church, especially since you don't need to pay a big premium for the schools in Vienna, Mclean, or West Springfield. It's a breeze of a commute, with several alternative routes to take. When they started building thousands of townhomes in NoVa is about the time the quality really declined (mid 80s). Their bones just aren't very good. They do offer space in the best locations, but I would take a 1950s SFR, any day of the week. In both cases the windows, roofs. HVAc, will have already been replaced...but then there are floor joists, decking, foundations.....the 50s house is going to win, every time.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:46 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,537,647 times
1. You can take Yellow Line trains to Archives from Springfield during rush hour, if you didnt know that. Not to mention you can take Blue Line three stops and just transfer.

2. Be very careful in South Alexandria. There are some sketchy apartments and avoid the Pole Road area.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:52 AM

671 posts, read 1,121,046 times
I know South Alexandria is considered not great but I have my heart set on a gated complex high rise that has a shuttle bus to Huntington metro or Old Town .
Have you considered Capitol Hill.? You are at lower end of $$ but would really be in DC.
Federal Triangle seems like it should be your Metro stop. blue,silver and orange lines.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,254,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Do you have parking?
I work in the RRB. If your parking is not subsidized it will be $23/day or a little over $300 for a monthly pass.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I work in the RRB. If your parking is not subsidized it will be $23/day or a little over $300 for a monthly pass.
Aren't there some outdoor lots within 3-4 blocks that are quite a bit less? It's been two years, but I saw 225 per month over by 19th and K.....in a garage...with an early bird price of 8 per day, if you were in by 8am.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:25 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,254,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Aren't there some outdoor lots within 3-4 blocks that are quite a bit less? It's been two years, but I saw 225 per month over by 19th and K.....in a garage...with an early bird price of 8 per day, if you were in by 8am.
19th and K is a 27 minute walk to RRB!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rona...0499!3e2?hl=en

Old 04-10-2016, 10:35 AM

That was a PMI Garage,,,so that rate would be available elsewhere....1.3 miles in 27 minutes? I think the Special, Special Olympians could do it; not sure about government workers. C street between 12th and 14th...would be closer...but those lots may have been developed by now.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:13 AM

7 posts, read 6,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Depends on the lifestyle you want. Is it important that the townhouse is a newer build? Do you want to be walkable to restaurants, etc., or are you ok with getting in the car to do most things? The MetroWest complex at the Vienna metro is a possibility for new build.
It's not important that it's a newer build. Just looking for units with a good kitchen layout (good flow to dining room, nook, and family room). Been trolling Trulia to get a feel for the real estate picture in NOVA. Saw several older units with renovated kitchens. Just don't want to be saddled with outdated kitchens.

OK with getting cars to run errands.

I had looked at the complex you recommended. The son of a close friend works at George Mason and warns me that the traffic is extremely congested up there. That's why I stopped looking in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia