Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 05:53 AM

318 posts, read 368,137 times

Advertisements

Houses are cheaper in less desirable locations. Just like dating it is harder to get the hottie.

Last edited by fcyolo; 04-17-2016 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 06:38 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,252,095 times
Revolution? LOL

Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 AM

857 posts, read 845,219 times
Oh man, so it looks like the revolution fizzed out by page two. So since that turned out to be a non-starter, can we instead revolt against say birds pooping all over our cars? It's getting ridiculous... Time to take up arms and do something...

Old 04-18-2016, 07:46 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
can we instead revolt against say birds pooping all over our cars? It's getting ridiculous... Time to take up arms and do something...
Seriously!!! I am in!!!! I'm pretty sure the birds who bomb my car daily have a Taco Bell diet.....

Old 04-18-2016, 07:51 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,931,729 times
Okay, this seems to be a genuine thread, so I will attempt to answer why a revolution ain't gonna do squat. (But props for caring).

Fairfax County has priced itself out of the new construction business. You need to sit in on some zoning meetings to get a feel of what this County is demanding from builders before their project will be considered, much less approved. Literally, Fairfax has pretty much priced new builds out of the county. There's something called proffers, tit for tat, scratch my back, I will scratch yours. Proffers are what the builder is doing for the county for the privilege of building in Fairfax. This includes donating, at cost, a percentage of the finished units for the county's low income housing program. But don't stop there, it could include putting in a road, turn lanes, constructing ramps, bus stop shelters, overhead walkways, and on an an and on. The builder is not doing that for free, so it must go into the price.

You won't get a revolution until you get Fairfax Board of Supervisors off the free ride train. I don't think it will ever happen. Other, less expensive, counties are nearby and far more welcoming.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:29 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,318,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
How about buying a used house ?
This idea is preposterous

Old 04-18-2016, 08:53 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,736,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntz View Post
Have you noticed home builders are charging us excessively? We need to start a revolution and stop doing business with them until they price their home reasonably. Please spread the word around….
Houses are going to be at least 2.5 times the value of the land.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Seriously!!! I am in!!!! I'm pretty sure the birds who bomb my car daily have a Taco Bell diet.....
Sweet. Glad our revolution (with a slightly new focus now) is gaining rapid momentum. We only now need a few more staunch anti bird poop revolutionaries and we will tackle this issue (hopefully by dinner time).

Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
This idea is preposterous
Totally. That is like buying a used lunch; ain't nobody got time for that...

Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,095,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Okay, this seems to be a genuine thread, so I will attempt to answer why a revolution ain't gonna do squat. (But props for caring).

Fairfax County has priced itself out of the new construction business. You need to sit in on some zoning meetings to get a feel of what this County is demanding from builders before their project will be considered, much less approved. Literally, Fairfax has pretty much priced new builds out of the county. There's something called proffers, tit for tat, scratch my back, I will scratch yours. Proffers are what the builder is doing for the county for the privilege of building in Fairfax. This includes donating, at cost, a percentage of the finished units for the county's low income housing program. But don't stop there, it could include putting in a road, turn lanes, constructing ramps, bus stop shelters, overhead walkways, and on an an and on. The builder is not doing that for free, so it must go into the price.

You won't get a revolution until you get Fairfax Board of Supervisors off the free ride train. I don't think it will ever happen. Other, less expensive, counties are nearby and far more welcoming.
The counter-argument would be that nearby counties "compete" by rolling out a red carpet for developers, and end up having to raise taxes later to pay for infrastructure and new schools, after the developers have moved on to the next development or county and are nowhere to be found. If Fairfax can get the builders - whether of new single-family homes or multi-family developments - to pay up-front proffers, and still leave them with some margin, I'm all for it.

Last edited by JD984; 04-18-2016 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia