Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,996 times

Advertisements

My husabd works in DC, a block from Gallery Place metro stop. We were tired of living in the city (16th and
Kalorama) and wanted something different. The past two years we have rented a house in Harpers Ferry. I'm glad we rented before buying because we've decided under NO circumstance do we want to live in Harpers Ferry. It's pretty and there are several outdoor recreation options we enjoy, but other than that we hate the area. We're in our early 30s and wanting children and to buy our first home. Our house hunt would be much easier if we didn't want at least an acre of land. (We both grew up on farms and love working in the city, but coming home to the country.) We've found several homes in Bealeton that we like with several acres of land. We know the nearest VRE station will be in Bristow. I'd like to hear from those that know the Bealeton area. How is the area looking long term? Any DC commuters living in Bealeton/Catlett area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:26 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
You're insane. VRE doesn't even come that close to Metro Center. So he's going to drive to Bristow, get on VRE, then get on Metro, and then walk to work? But I guess he's been doing that from Harper's Ferry too...

I don't even think Bealeton/Catlett will stay rural much longer. It seems like the suburbs are slowly inching down 28. They just started widening 28 in Bristow as if that's not far enough.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Please be specific as to why you don't like Harper's Ferry.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,996 times
He would drive to Bristow, 30 mintues, and then take VRE to L'Enfant Station and walk to work. He would not need to take the metro. His total commute time will be approximately 2 hours. If you want land and privacy under 500k, then it's going to be a long commute. We have given consideration to Stafford or Fredericksburg, but found a house we really like in Bealeton.
I don't like Harpers Ferry because of the community, surrounding communites, schools, weather, and healthcare.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:35 AM

170 posts, read 199,445 times
Holy crap, that is terrible.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:33 AM

74 posts, read 81,848 times
If you want land you don't have to live that far but you will pay. There are 5 acre developments in Centreville and a few other locations. (Cost will be about $875,000 and up.) Clifton, VA also features a lot of homes with land. You didn't mention your budget but if you can afford it, there are many developments with anywhere from 1-5 acre+ lots closer in to the city.

Cheers,
Jamie

Old 04-20-2016, 08:19 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,672 times
The joys of owning a HOUUUSEEE with lots of space = make your daily commute completely miserable.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:31 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeVonGudenkauf View Post
His total commute time will be approximately 2 hours.
Does he commute daily?

I have a pretty decent commute tolerance, but four hours a day would really negatively affect my quality of life. However, I know of one or two people who live in my native central VA county and commute into DC, so there are people willing to make that sacrifice.

You should also take your future children into consideration. That long of a commute will likely cut down on the amount of time Dad can spend with the kids during the week, leaving you as the primary caretaker.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:42 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeVonGudenkauf View Post
He would drive to Bristow, 30 mintues, and then take VRE to L'Enfant Station and walk to work. He would not need to take the metro. His total commute time will be approximately 2 hours. If you want land and privacy under 500k, then it's going to be a long commute. We have given consideration to Stafford or Fredericksburg, but found a house we really like in Bealeton.
I don't like Harpers Ferry because of the community, surrounding communites, schools, weather, and healthcare.
I think it would be a good place to buy if that's what you want. Schools are pretty good.

I know people who commute from Richmond, Baltimore, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, so the OP is not alone. I don't know how you guys do it.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:42 AM

170 posts, read 199,445 times
That's a quarter of your waking life. That's just straight up crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia