Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,244 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I will be moving to Virginia in a couple years for several reasons. Mainly to be closer to my daughter and the ISSO job opportunities in the area. The question I have is this. I want to live in the Warrenton/Catlett area and don't mind driving in some traffic, but around what time during the week does traffic really get congested and unbearable? I'm military so I can leave a lot earlier and hit the gym prior to work. I would try Winchester, but that may be a bit much. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 08:41 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,743,193 times
What's ISSO?

I work on Belvoir. It starts getting busy at least by 7:30. Remember, most military people are early birds, so to be the early bird among them means being ridiculously early.

Warrenton--why? Plenty of nice places so much closer. Burke, Springfield, Alexandria, Lorton.

But if you don't even have an actual job offer yet, it's way too early to be planning a move. Plus there are lots of DoD jobs not at Belvoir.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
What's ISSO?

I work on Belvoir. It starts getting busy at least by 7:30. Remember, most military people are early birds, so to be the early bird among them means being ridiculously early.

Warrenton--why? Plenty of nice places so much closer. Burke, Springfield, Alexandria, Lorton.

But if you don't even have an actual job offer yet, it's way too early to be planning a move. Plus there are lots of DoD jobs not at Belvoir.
Information System Security Officer...Cyber security basically.

I'm not worried about military personnel, compared to other bases the number is insignificant. Mainly I'm concerned with civilian traffic. I'll be retiring in a couple years and gunning for a GS position. Thanks to networking, I feel good about my chances. Contractor if need be. I'd like to avoid the commute all together, but whatever it takes.

Warrenton honestly because that's the location of my daughter. She's almost a year old and I want to be involved in her life as much as possible. Plus, I want a home with land and it gets pricier the closer to DC you get.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:02 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,271,532 times
Google maps shows 1 hr 40 mins leaving at 6:00 am from Warrenton to FB

Old 05-08-2016, 03:05 PM

8,650 posts, read 9,165,955 times
yikes.......Winchester is looking better.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:10 PM

504 posts, read 1,214,582 times
There is a guy I know commuting from Warrenton to Belvoir. It's doable but you must get out by 3 to have a chance with the traffic. I think he gets up around 3:30-4:00AM.

I hate traffic into Belvoir. It takes me 20 minutes to go 20+ miles, and another 20 minutes to go the next 5 miles into Belvoir.

As Carlingtonian has mentioned, there are jobs at Belvoir that are actually located elsewhere. If your job is one of those, you are golden.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:16 PM

142 posts, read 273,449 times
I did the drive from Bristow to Ft Belvoir for 3 yrs. Plan for 1 hr if you leave anytime after 0600. Afternoon drive home can be anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hrs depending on accidents/weather etc. The farther down Hwy 234 you live, the better.

Winchester is not an option. You'd be looking at 2+ hrs on a good day.

Also, where you work on Belvoir will affect time too. The times above are just to the gate. Belvoir is a big post, so you could add 20-30 mins depending on what building you'll be in.

Good luck
Ben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia