Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 11:43 AM

97 posts, read 104,296 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to the area, was wondering about the emissions testing and whatnot, as we do not have it where I live now. My xterra has a 4 catalatyic converter exhaust, I was going to cut two out an dput a b pipe in, and replace the other two cats that the o2 sensors actually monitor, would that fail an emissions test?

I want to know if they hook up the truck to an emissions machine/dealio, or if its a visual inspection to see if cat's exist?

also curious, the yearly car tax in fairfax county, is that the only tax you have to pay? Or is there a separate state tax as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 12:12 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,997 times
The car tax is by county, there's no State Tax on personal automobiles. Unless you count the VA registration fee

I have no clue when it comes to the answer to the emissions question.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
The car tax is by county, there's no State Tax on personal automobiles. Unless you count the VA registration fee

I have no clue when it comes to the answer to the emissions question.
Yeah, and those reg fees are cheap compared to where I live now. So I am curious about the emissions testing, how that works, how often, what is tested, etc.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Gasoline-Powered Vehicles
There are three types of tests: two-speed idle test, acceleration simulation mode test and an on-board diagnostic system test. 1980 and older model year vehicles, and all vehicles with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of 8,501 to 10,000 pounds, receive a two-speed idle test. This test measures hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide at 2,500 rpm and curb idle.
Most 1981 and newer vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating up to 8,500 pounds receive an acceleration simulation (ASM) mode test. The ASM test is performed on a dynamometer (also known as a treadmill) which allows the inspector to run the vehicle at only 15 mph and 25 mph. This type of test is performed to measure nitric oxide, as well as hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. Some vehicles may not be able to receive the dynamometer test due to mechanical features such as all-wheel drive, full-time four-wheel drive, or traction control that cannot be turned off. These vehicles will be tested using the two-speed idle test. Newer vehicles may receive a test of the vehicle's on-board diagnostic computer system instead of or in addition to the regular tailpipe emissions test. Most vehicles receive an emissions control component inspection. The inspector will check for certain emissions control systems that were originally installed on the vehicle by the manufacturer. Most vehicles will also receive visible smoke inspection.

Diesel-Powered Vehicles
1997 and newer diesel vehicles with a manufacturer’s designated gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less will receive the on-board diagnostic computer system test. Diesel vehicles will not receive the tailpipe test, visual component inspection, or the visible smoke inspection.

http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Programs...AQ.aspx#tattot

Old 05-11-2016, 12:46 PM

So they hook up an emissions stuff, do they hook up ODBII at all? Check for codes or anything?

Old 05-11-2016, 01:39 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,319 times
Yes on OBDII cars they will check for codes - there is no sniff test. They turn the car on, make sure it isn't spewing smoke, check the dash for the check engine light, and that's it. Some places may also look under the car for the cats. If you are throwing a code the car WILL fail.

If you are deleting cats or whatever you will need O2 sensor simulator or similar to stop the car from having an emissions code.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Yes on OBDII cars they will check for codes - there is no sniff test. They turn the car on, make sure it isn't spewing smoke, check the dash for the check engine light, and that's it. Some places may also look under the car for the cats. If you are throwing a code the car WILL fail.

If you are deleting cats or whatever you will need O2 sensor simulator or similar to stop the car from having an emissions code.
I have 4 cats, only the two main ones have O2 sensors, the other two do NOT. I am currently throwing a check engine light on my CAT's, so I want to pull (replace with b pipe) the two that are not part of the O2 check system, and replace the other two so they will stop throwing the code to replace them.

I just want to make sure i'll pass inspection, doing this would save me a few hundred bucks vs replacing the other 2 cats.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:12 PM

239 posts, read 281,035 times
Missing cats will likely fail the safety inspection.

I don't have your car, but wouldn't missing cats would trigger a CEL and that would fail the OBDII test.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
Missing cats will likely fail the safety inspection.

I don't have your car, but wouldn't missing cats would trigger a CEL and that would fail the OBDII test.
No, because there are 4, and only the two fronts are what the computer checks for via the 4 O2 sensors, the last two are not, they just exist. Like this:

Old 05-11-2016, 03:35 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,319 times
The Nissan dealer might fail you anyway for the missing cats. Take it some random gas station (exxon, shell etc) and it should no pass no problems assuming there are no codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: