Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 4,631 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am interested in teaching as my second career. I am a Masters in Biostatistics and Bachelors in Applied Mathematics. I have been working in health care as a data analyst for the past seven years. Would like to preferable join a career switcher program and then hopefully get a job as a math teacher at a private k-12 school.

I know it will be a pay cut and a huge one but at this time point in my life, I am looking to do something more fulfilling, personally i.e. impart knowledge and it will be a career move that will allow more flexibility in terms of work schedule and hours and also time off.

Looking for suggestions and advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
The work hours and schedule are pretty much set. I wouldn't call them flexible. It's not like you can go in later and stay later or leave early.

Do you need a certification to teach in a private school?

Old 05-15-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The work hours and schedule are pretty much set. I wouldn't call them flexible. It's not like you can go in later and stay later or leave early.

The "Career Switcher" Program, I was told, enables you to teach at public schools as well as accredited private schools because it first grants you the provisional license and then the teaching license upon completion.

Flexibility in terms of working part or full time, I heard

Old 05-15-2016, 02:56 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times
If you haven't done so already, volunteer or get a part-time position in a school. Find out whether you actually like being around assorted children all day and are capable of communicating well with them before you invest a ton of time and money into a program.

Private schools generally pay about 80% of whatever the local public schools pay, and the benefit package is seldom as strong. So if money is a consideration, that's something to keep in mind.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:22 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Like the poster above said, try doing it part time or volunteer if you can and make sure that you enjoy being in that sort of environment.

Also, in terms of flexibility some of it is there but there are still a lot of long hours, hours where you're working from home, etc. so I wouldn't make that the catalyst for you wanting to get into the field. I've never been a teacher but while I was in college I interned at a school and it's definitely not as lax as one would think so just make sure your heart is in it.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:59 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,117 times
Totally agree with getting some volunteer experience and also shadowing the positions you are interested in before hand. I only worked in public education but am not sure how much is really there, either public or private, for part time positions. Also the idea that oh, you have the summers off isn't true if there is continuing Ed you need or want to do. Don't forget about evening work of grading and lesson planning, etc.

I realize this probably sounds like a downer on your idea. Don't want it to be just want to make sure you are realistic. There are great teachers who come out of other fields. Another idea you may check is being an adjunct at the local community colleges although I have heard they really don't pay well at all and could be too much part time. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:53 AM

Thanks all for your input. I agree with the comments above. I am at work 8-5 five days a week so not sure how the volunteer part time experience would work out.

Do you know if community colleges require teaching license and/or a PhD to teach?

Old 05-15-2016, 08:57 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhb_nova View Post
Thanks all for your input. I agree with the comments above. I am at work 8-5 five days a week so not sure how the volunteer part time experience would work out.

Do you know if community colleges require teaching license and/or a PhD to teach?
Not sure about all community colleges, but NOVA requires a master's degree, not a teaching license or PhD. There are also additional requirements based on the department and course(s).

Old 05-18-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

What are the typical daily hours?

Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,387,833 times
I work for a K-8 independent school. Our daily hours are 7:45am-4:00pm but I can assure you, our faculty work beyond those hours. A full-time teacher has very little flexibility in their schedules. Say goodbye to lunch hours - you'll probably have meetings or lunch or recess duty. It's a rare occasion for faculty to have the flexibility to leave campus for lunch or run errands.

Many are doing professional development during the summer or working summer camps to supplement their income. With closing meetings and opening meetings, and taking advantage of professional development, their "whole summer off" is more like one month off.

I agree with others. You should test the environment to see if teaching is a good fit. You mention K-12, and I'll just say that middle school students are the toughest teach. So you'll want to narrow down the age group as well.

Last edited by HokieFan; 05-18-2016 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia