Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 738 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the unfortunate position of having had my clearance revoked (upgrade was denied, resulting in current one taken away). As a result, I am facing layoff since I no longer qualify for my company's program offerings (need clearance).

Have you, or anyone you have known, dealt with this before? I am pursuing private sector employment, or positions that require low-level clearance (public trust). How did they go about explaining this issue in the recruiting/hiring process?

Obviously this is a pretty crappy situation, and the suddenness of it really has made me scramble. Not fun having to make a career change after being so dead set on what I had been doing before. Any information or guidance would be very, very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 04:18 PM

56 posts, read 95,980 times
You will be asked if your clearance has ever been revoked for ANY job requiring a clearance. Your bet is to either be able to explain the reason and hope you can still qualify or apply for commercial (Non-DOD) jobs that don't require a clearance.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:19 PM

23 posts, read 27,163 times
Can't you appeal the decision?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 PM

25 posts, read 46,905 times
You have a short time to file an appeal otherwise you have to wait a year and reapply for a clearance, with an employer that is willing to sponsor you and wait a longer time for a clearance.

Happened to hubby a few years ago, he decided to work in a different job field because of the stress of dealing with it.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:34 PM

18 posts, read 20,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceF22 View Post
I'm currently in the unfortunate position of having had my clearance revoked (upgrade was denied, resulting in current one taken away). As a result, I am facing layoff since I no longer qualify for my company's program offerings (need clearance).

Have you, or anyone you have known, dealt with this before? I am pursuing private sector employment, or positions that require low-level clearance (public trust). How did they go about explaining this issue in the recruiting/hiring process?

Obviously this is a pretty crappy situation, and the suddenness of it really has made me scramble. Not fun having to make a career change after being so dead set on what I had been doing before. Any information or guidance would be very, very appreciated!

So did you go for a Poly, fail and now they're revoking your other clearances? Or were you on an interim upgrade status in a job that required it permanently and it just never went through?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:05 AM

526 posts, read 904,265 times
If you apply for a private sector job then the topic of your clearance will never come up. It won't be held against you.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:16 AM

53 posts, read 38,487 times
Sorry for your situation. What I can tell you is that there are MANY MANY jobs out there (in the nova area) that do NOT require a clearance. good luck.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,346,083 times
Don't define your career by the clearance you have. Define yourself by the person who you are, the integrity you have, and the empathy you have for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia