Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:39 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,752,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
WHAT?!?!?!??! I specifically went through Global Entry program to make both the TSA precheck and customs a much faster process. Are you saying I won't benefit when I jump on a red-eye Wednesday night at 10? TSA Precheck is closed then?!??!?!
I too am a member of the Rear Entry Program. FYI, it doesn't even guarantee you'll get PreCheck every time; if the name on your ticket doesn't EXACTLY match what's on your passport (full middle name), you won't get it. Likewise if the airline doesn't participate--one reason I will never fly Spirit Air again. (Also, BWI.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 09:06 PM

504 posts, read 1,215,561 times
I breezed through the TSA PreCheck at IAD this morning. No problem at all. Checking my bag in, however, was a mess.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:40 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,993,158 times
glad they fired the boss....pretty disgraceful.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
glad they fired the boss....pretty disgraceful.
Alas, Hoggy wasn't fired--just transferred. After getting bonuses every single month of around $10K. And by the way, he was a Pistole hire--the same buffoon (preceding Adm. Neffenger) who proposed to allow knives on airplanes without running it by anyone.

Congress really needs to reform the SES. If they're supposedly so "results oriented" (part of their cultlike tenets), they should be held accountable.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-25-2016 at 05:08 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 07:52 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,993,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I too am a member of the Rear Entry Program.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 05-25-2016 at 08:26 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Yeah, I can never resist easy bowlderization. The non-Global Entry (i.e., the regular process, where you're pawed by a TSA meter maid) I call the Grope & Entry Program.

Anyway, this is what happens when airlines raise bag fees so high that people start cramming everything into a carryon, and when they pay their screeners so little and train them so poorly that leave the job in droves.

Solution: Get all the airlines to make carryons much smaller--like in Europe and Asia. And then enforce the size/weight limits with no exceptions. Then recruit more screeners, and increase their pay and training. Pay for this by firing a bunch of dead-weight SES blobs in the TSA HQ. (Why does TSA need an "intelligence division" anyway? Any intel it needs it gets from the FBI or ODNI.)

Or just get rid of carryons altogether. Annoying to wait at the carousel, but to me it's way better than waiting in the security line.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-26-2016 at 06:18 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I too am a member of the Rear Entry Program. FYI, it doesn't even guarantee you'll get PreCheck every time; if the name on your ticket doesn't EXACTLY match what's on your passport (full middle name), you won't get it. Likewise if the airline doesn't participate--one reason I will never fly Spirit Air again. (Also, BWI.)
Global Entry means zero when you are leaving IAD on a foreing carrier for an international flight. Oh well, the lines weren't too bad late at night.

Now, it better work when I come back!!

Old 05-26-2016, 10:41 AM

172 posts, read 330,591 times
I flew from IAD last Wed. morning, before 9am, international flight. Pre-checked online the morning before. Arrived at IAD @ ~ 6am, checked in using kiosk as we had only carry-on bags. Security lines were very short, went through very quickly.

And 2 weeks ago my friend flew from IAD @ ~4pm, international flight, too. She went through security also very quickly.

I am all for efficient security checks, however, my big concern is loss of quality in rushed security checks. I understand that people may miss their flights due to long lines (or maybe due to not always giving enough time before their departure?). There should be a good balance between shorter lines and thorough security to re-assure safety for all passengers.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:48 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,868,111 times
Just in case anyone is curious about Reagan too. I got through security in 10 minutes though I had to undergo a hand test for I don't know why. I'm work in banking, not explosives.

Arrived at 6:30pm today, no line at baggage check-in in the terminal by 6:50.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:31 PM

53 posts, read 74,477 times
I always found the Dulles setup to be very inefficient. There are really only 2 security entry points for all passengers. That's just too much of a bottleneck for a major international airport.

I switched to Reagan for my domestic flights a while back. The experience is infinitely better.

Night and day really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia