Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 08:45 PM

144 posts, read 236,014 times

Advertisements

If I want to keep my job, I will be forced to move to work over at IAD Dulles Airport. I believe its in Northern Virginia?

I am basically clueless regarding IAD so any advice would be great.

Salary will increase a little though but not sure exactly how much.

I am wondering whats the cost of living in the IAD Dulles area?

Housing?

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Compared to Miami - housing will be WAY higher - small houses cost about 500k, and high cost of living also

Old 03-19-2011, 02:12 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Compared to Miami - housing will be WAY higher - small houses cost about 500k, and high cost of living also
Not entirely correct. Yes, housing is more expensive here in NOVA but this 500k for a small home is only true depending on where you buy, There are plenty of homes, especially townhomes, for under 200K which I know can still be a lot compared to home prices in Fla.

OP. IDA is located in Loudoun Co and next door to Fairfax Co. Both expensives areas. Look south towards the Manassas area for cheaper housing. It just depends on how far you are willing to commute and what range you are looking at.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 AM

121 posts, read 469,698 times
miami being a big city; i would think that housing and COL would be similar

since you are at IAD which is west of the city there are plenty of reasonable and safe housing choices.

check on realtor.com for rentals or sales in loudoun county or on dc craigslist to get an idea.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreCore View Post
If I want to keep my job, I will be forced to move to work over at IAD Dulles Airport. I believe its in Northern Virginia?

I am basically clueless regarding IAD so any advice would be great.

Salary will increase a little though but not sure exactly how much.

I am wondering whats the cost of living in the IAD Dulles area?

Housing?

Thank you for your time.
What is your preferred housing budget? And what will your salary be, if you don't mind sharing?

On average, the cost of living, particularly housing, will indeed be higher here than Miami. For a 1BR apt, I like to say that $1200 is likely the minimum for an "okay" unit in a moderately convenient, comfortable area. While $500K homes are closer to the standard than $200K, it depends on what you're looking for and, how long of a commute you're willing to bear.

Fortunately, Dulles is located far out enough that you'll get more for your money compared to locations closer to DC. Eastern Loudoun County, which Dulles straddles, is family-friendly with newer homes. There are a number of "town center" developments with Leesburg having a traditional downtown.
If you're under 30 and/or looking for nightlife with single professionals, Reston's Town Center neighborhood may be your most convenient option. You may like the Clarendon and Ballston neighborhoods in Arlington as well as Old Town Alexandria; however, you won't like the commute.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Where can you get a 200k detached single family home in NOVA? It would have to be a dump in a bad area. Or if not - please tell me where - I would be amazed.

Price of housing being similar? In Florida, even a city like Miami is MUCH MUCH cheaper than here - I know I priced it.

Last edited by Nancy in Nokomis; 03-19-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 03:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Also, in Miami you have a buyer's market. Here, real estate is in demand and is expensive. I love living here, but be aware that Nova is very different from Miami. You will not be near a beach, you will have to deal with snow in the winter, and nightlife/culture is quite different. These might be good things or bad things, depending on what you're hoping to find. Or maybe they don't matter to you at all, but I thought I'd mention it in case it does.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Pack up and move 1000+ miles from home....to a crowded and expensive place like NOVA?

....for a job in a notoriously volatile and low-paying industry???

Johnny Paycheck knew what to tell 'em! LOL

Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 PM

18 posts, read 72,446 times
Reston is only about 5 miles from Dulles-

Reston Overview: Photos, Stats, Crime, Home Sales and Schools on washingtonpost.com Neighborhoods

Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM

144 posts, read 236,014 times
Thank you all for your info and comments. I will digest it all and take a trip up to Northern VA to see for myself as well. This job would be a nice promotion and I assume about 10k more per year so I got to weigh my options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia