Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 12:04 PM

14 posts, read 10,845 times

Advertisements

You have excellent taste! After posting the other day I found and liked all three of these listings.

It sounds like you live in Reston. How would you compare it with Vienna in terms of affordability? Schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:39 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,274,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLtoNOVA View Post
He will be working 2-3 blocks from the McPhereson Square Metro Stop, so I was trying to concentrate my search along the orange/silver/blue lines.

I will look come more into Springfield. We checked the area out a bit, but there was something about Vienna that we really liked, but as I look more and more it looks like Vienna is more on the expensive side. You are right in steering us to try to rent where we think we will buy, besides commuting I am concerned about kids needing to change schools again. We'd like to start to put down roots in our community, so moving again in a couple years isn't the way to do that.

Also, my hubby was talking to some people he will be working with and it sounds like many of them live in Arlington. Any tips on Arlington? At his request I'm now checking it out and there seems to be a really wide range of rent prices at a glance, so wondering if some areas should be avoided due to crime, poorly rated schools, etc.
North Arlington is one of THE most desirable places due to it's proximity to DC and you end up paying for it. S Arlington is cheaper, but the schools in general not as desirable. Arlington County school district isn't very large. Go to greatschools.com to get a feel for how schools are rated.

Fairfax county has a school profile for every school on their websites as well.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:29 PM

When looking at the map of Arlington on Great Schools there is a very distinct line between the schools that are rated as excellent and those that have pretty poor ratings. He is insistent that we check out that areas, so I'm off to pull up rental listings and then to try to find some homes for sale that we would potentially be looking at buying in a few years, just to see their prices.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:49 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,260,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLtoNOVA View Post
You have excellent taste! After posting the other day I found and liked all three of these listings.

It sounds like you live in Reston. How would you compare it with Vienna in terms of affordability? Schools?
I have lived in Reston since 2002. I didn't realize what a gem Reston was when I bought a house here. I've drank the kool-aid and really like it! I live in the South Lakes area, on the Walker Nature Center and just a few houses away from our neighborhood dock on Lake Audubon. This morning I had a bald eagle fly by my office window and took a stroll along Snakeden Branch at lunch time. Lot sizes in Reston are generally smaller than in other areas of northern Virginia, as Reston's vision is to have shared open space. Here is a link to a map that shows the open spaces, four lakes, kids playgrounds (we call them tot lots), 15 swimming pools and tons of tennis courts that Reston has to offer.
http://www.reston.org/portals/3/What.../RSA_Map_2.pdf

As for the differences between Vienna and Reston.
Reston is much newer - Reston is planned community that started in 1964.
Vienna is going through a building transition - many of the older/smaller homes are being bought, torn down and LARGE houses are built their place. That kind of a transition will not happen in Reston. Rebuilding in an already established neighborhood would need to be consistent with the neighborhood.

Housing in Vienna is much more expensive than Reston and the schools are generally considered better. Reston schools are good with one exception. I don't recommend any houses in the Dogwood Elementary School zone. Reston kids either go to South Lakes High School (south side - offers IB program) or Herndon High School (north side - offers AP program). Here are links to where this years graduates will be heading next year.
https://www.restonnow.com/2016/06/03...g-in-the-fall/
https://www.restonnow.com/2016/06/07...ad-to-college/

Reston is currently having somewhat of a transition, since the arrival last year of the Metro Silver Line. Lots of development right around the station. I see you are also considering options on the Metro Blue Line, note that Blue Line service was cut back dramatically with the start of the Silver Line.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Reston.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I have lived in Reston since 2002. I didn't realize what a gem Reston was when I bought a house here. I've drank the kool-aid and really like it! I live in the South Lakes area, on the Walker Nature Center and just a few houses away from our neighborhood dock on Lake Audubon. This morning I had a bald eagle fly by my office window and took a stroll along Snakeden Branch at lunch time. Lot sizes in Reston are generally smaller than in other areas of northern Virginia, as Reston's vision is to have shared open space. Here is a link to a map that shows the open spaces, four lakes, kids playgrounds (we call them tot lots), 15 swimming pools and tons of tennis courts that Reston has to offer.
http://www.reston.org/portals/3/What.../RSA_Map_2.pdf

As for the differences between Vienna and Reston.
Reston is much newer - Reston is planned community that started in 1964.
Vienna is going through a building transition - many of the older/smaller homes are being bought, torn down and LARGE houses are built their place. That kind of a transition will not happen in Reston. Rebuilding in an already established neighborhood would need to be consistent with the neighborhood.

Housing in Vienna is much more expensive than Reston and the schools are generally considered better. Reston schools are good with one exception. I don't recommend any houses in the Dogwood Elementary School zone. Reston kids either go to South Lakes High School (south side - offers IB program) or Herndon High School (north side - offers AP program). Here are links to where this years graduates will be heading next year.
https://www.restonnow.com/2016/06/03...g-in-the-fall/
https://www.restonnow.com/2016/06/07...ad-to-college/

Reston is currently having somewhat of a transition, since the arrival last year of the Metro Silver Line. Lots of development right around the station. I see you are also considering options on the Metro Blue Line, note that Blue Line service was cut back dramatically with the start of the Silver Line.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Reston.
Thank you so much! I just sent a message to a realtor in Reston and we are planning our (hopefully) final trip up to find somewhere to live before relocating.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:52 PM

776 posts, read 1,067,522 times
youre going to get tons of information so ill just say this. We did FPYC soccer in Fairfax county. Super experienced coaches, and fun fun fun. all grades up to u19 I believe.

as far as living and commuting, there is no win-win that's the bad part. we moved in and out of DC 3 times and it looks like we will be coming back possibly for another and each time we went to Fairfax. 22030 would be best if you want to be closest to Vienna metro. but 22033 is nice living and 22032 is south Fairfax with older homes. all three would be my recommendation. then id look at Burke unless you need the metro. West Springfield is also a great option . All of these get you great public schools and nice home options in your price range. The commute isn't too bad from downtown either. it is 45 minutes anyway you go. you just cant beat it. If you use the metro, don't use the metro, rush hour, whatever. A bad day you'll spend an hour maybe a little over. Mclean is great if you can afford it. Vienna would be awesome if you can find anything for sale or rent. The downfall is that other than townhomes, you want find too many SFH within walking distance to a metro. So you will still have to drive and park at the metro if you are using it.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:25 PM

Back again! Last weekend we made another trip to NoVa to try to find a rental. We LOVE Reston, it seems like a great community and I love all of the trees and parks and trails, etc. We put in an offer on one of the rentals actually suggested by someone here, but we didn't get it, someone else offered a longer term and the owners chose to rent it to them. Knowing that can be a deciding factor we may offer a longer term next time if we find another we like as much. We have been searching for another in Reston all week to no avail. Two pets seems to be the clencher.

We looked at a few in Herndon, but honestly just didn't fall in love with the area.

Out of necessity I am looking further into Springfield and have found a few in Alexandria (Kingstowne, I believe) that look interesting, as well as continuing to look in Reston, Oakton and Vienna in case something new comes up. The movers will be here three weeks from yesterday, so I'm starting to panic a bit about finding somewhere to live. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-30-2016, 04:43 PM

You will need to watch the market and jump quickly for a nice rental in Reston. I can't remember your price range, but here are a few more to check out.

11002 THRUSH RIDGE RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9696218 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2516 FARRIER LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9697994 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com (This house has been for sale for a long time and this rental price is WAY too high.)
2154 GREENKEEPERS CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9698182 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2061 GOLF COURSE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9698157 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1400 PARK GARDEN LN, RESTON, VA 20194 | MLS FX9695691 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

PM me if you have any Reston questions.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:15 PM

We got a townhouse in Reston. It is in the Forest Edge Elementary School district. Great Schools doesn't have it ranked all that well, but the reviews from parents seem really positive as of late. It sounds like a diverse school, which I think is great, but I'm guessing with the high population of ESL students that is the reason for the lower test scores. Please correct me if I'm wrong there! With the AAP center there the boys will be able to stay in the same school, which is a positive for us. We've also been in contact with the technical director for Reston Soccer and he said the boys can come out and practice with the team and they'll determine if they're a good fit, so it looks like things are falling into place. Thank you for all of your help!

Old 07-10-2016, 01:05 PM

Welcome to Reston!

I don't have any knowledge about Forest Edge Elementary, but it is a good thing that they have the AAP for your sons.

I just pulled up a boundary map for Forest Edge Elementary.
http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarym...restedgees.pdf

As far as diversity in housing stock - this school zone has the whole range that Reston has to offer.
From this small condo for $170K
1412 NORTHGATE SQ #2A, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9657730 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
to this amazing house for $1.2M
1379 CAMERON HEATH DR, RESTON, VA 20194 | MLS FX9657152 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Please let me know if you have any questions as you prepare to move or once you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia