Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 03:10 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovintoVA View Post
It's weird to try to resolve mentally, how a high tech corridor, expensive safe neighborhoods and a highly rated area mixed with MS-13 and reports of roaches in the $1400+ a month 1 bedroom apartments. I'm not knocking it in any way, I am hoping to settle happily in the Reston area, it's just confusing without being there. Any further suggestions are welcome, I need to be 16 min max to Dulles Airport I don't want to commute further in the snow. I've done in in NY for years and I'm trying to lessen the hardship. I also don't understand how 10 min by car translated to one and a half hurs by public transportation. That's only 6 miles. How can there be that many stops in that distance? It's what Google maps shows. Driving 9 minutes. The Silver Line 2 hours.

Where did you get this information from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 04:46 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
From Reston to Dulles via the Silver Line will take 3-4 years. It is still being constructed. There are buses that can do it in a more reasonable time of 15-20 minutes. If you must be close to Dulles, Ashburn or Sterling might be better options.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Where did you get this information from?
That is not a ridiculous situation if you are commuting to somewhere that is not metrorail accessible. In college, I had a retail job that was an hour commute on two buses. It was to one of the "worst neighborhoods in Ffx County."

Old 06-26-2016, 11:25 AM

13 posts, read 34,619 times
Thanks. I couldn't figure how a 10 minute drive which would be about 10 - 15 miles could contain enough stops to take an hour and a half by bus?

Also I am back to looking in Reston and Herndon which are supposed to be "The" area to live, however, this is what I see on apartments there that start at $1390 - $1450. Below quoted from apartment review sites and Google Reviews.**So I guess I have to shell out over 1600 a month for a 1 bedroom that is quiet clean and safe? That is way more than in NY** I am dissapointed.

STAY AWAY! There are drunk guys ALWAYS peeing in the bush in front of the building. Talk about nasty! They also like to sit on the stairs with a six pack, and pass out from how drunk they are.
Cockroach infested dump
People drinking in front of the units at night,
We moved out when my wife started getting cat-calls in the morning on her way to work.
you hear EVERYTHING that your upstairs, downstairs and side neigbors are doing.
There was a rapist attacking women close to the apartments, my car was broken into twice. You can smell marijuana from other tenants in their apartments. There are always empty beer bottles in the back grassy common area, and there was a used condom by my car this morning. It is not a safe neighborhood. I have nothing nice to say about this facility.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:43 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,894,788 times
i never go by those reviews. instead i research ffx county police crime stats or Local town/city crime and i drive the neighborhoods at odd times. then i check for trash/extra cars/ rental occupancy. i also check for evidence of extra people renting rooms in homes

i livd in Kansas for 6 years and there are plenty of gangs/sex trafficing there so you can't go by local reputation and gossip

Old 06-26-2016, 05:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovintoVA View Post
Thanks. I couldn't figure how a 10 minute drive which would be about 10 - 15 miles could contain enough stops to take an hour and a half by bus?
Curious as to what specific path you are referring to? Sounds outrageous, but I am not familiar with the bus routes to really know.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:59 PM

HI,
I plugged it into Google maps which shows the drive time (click on the car) as 9 minutes and the public trans time as over 1.5 hours

click here to see the Google maps info

Old 06-26-2016, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been somewhat dismayed. I changed my search from Ashburn to upscale Herndon and upped the rent to $1,500 + utilities for a 1 bedroom ( exorbitant even by NY standards) and still see pictures of huge trash piles, roach traps and people saying they tow your visitors cars constantly and that they are nice when you move in and then lie and ignore all requests and calls.
These ar all the "Luxury" Apartment cmplexes. The mst recent I am searching are Dulles Center, Avalon Woodland Park and Trevors Run. I had settled on Westwind farms in Ashburn, but the consistently horrible reviews caused me to cancel my appointment with them. if anyone an suggest a good complex (pref not a high rise) near Dulls airport I would grealty appreciate it. and thanks for the replies I appreciate each one

Old 06-26-2016, 06:11 PM

sorry my "e" is sticking lol

Old 06-26-2016, 08:56 PM

170 posts, read 199,376 times
Does 5A still run? I know they wanted to cut it, but that's only a ten minute ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: