Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:15 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,415,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff22152 View Post
If current economic trends continue, I think central Springfield has a bright future ahead of it. Regardless of whether or not the FBI headquarters relocate there, Springfield is steadily shedding its old stigmatized reputation as a worn-out suburb, and rapidly attracting new families and residents due to its centralized location in the region and relative affordability. The success of the first phase of the Springfield Town Center is a vivid example of this turnaround.

Unlike Tysons, central Springfield already has a compact street network in place west of I-95. In the coming years I could easily see some of those current shopping plazas transformed into mid-rise residential buildings with ground-level retail (just like the future phases of the Springfield Town Center propose on the east side of I-95).

One somewhat overlooked fact in southern and south-central Fairfax County is Fort Belvoir's anticipated growth in the coming two decades, and the impact that thousands of new/relocated defense employees will have on the surrounding region and its housing market. While housing and amenities will be expanded on the base itself, I think you can expect a number of surrounding or nearby neighborhoods (e.g., Springfield, Franconia, Lorton) to benefit as well -- despite increased traffic congestion.
Agreed regarding Springfield.

Obviously the possibility of the FBI headquarters plays a huge part but I also think, slowly, Springfield is revamping itself and has the most potential.

But as a whole, I think Fairfax is going to slow down a bit. It'll always be the most important locality in Northern Virginia but, as someone has already said, I think Loudoun County is going to play a larger role as far as future development is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 09:14 PM

126 posts, read 189,845 times
I think big boom in Loudoun county route 28 corridor is for sure.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:25 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,756,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Merrifield and hipster? Since when?

I guess when they tore down the movie theater and Taco Bell. Those were the only reason I used to go to that area years ago.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:42 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,509,842 times
I think Pine Spring. It is between Falls Church City and Mosaic. I would not wish to live on Graham RD but the area is close to a lot of things and in between some nice places.

I am cautious of anything west of Tyson's not on the Metro line. I do not expect traffic to get better and Tyson's may already bigger than downtown DC.

I am traffic adverse though.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:05 PM

170 posts, read 200,120 times
I agree. Looking long long term, I don't see why Loudoun would start to pop off for any reason. People will certainly continue to move there, but energy costs and traffic will become major burdens and the amenities and services and changing demographics of the population will make closer-in properties a smarter choice for the affluent. I think Loudoun and further out only have two things going for them, majority white and Asian schools and giant cheap houses. Which, admittedly, are two major things for people, but again, just thinking really long term, I think these will become less attractive.

As for the next hot places, there rare only a few that are close enough in to have that density make sense. Springfield and the section of Falls Church between 495, 29, and 50, as stated. Landmark, 7 Corners, Baileys, Huntington, Route 1, maybe Annandale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia