Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,916,274 times

Advertisements

Merrifield in 2008 was not the hipster up and coming real estate $$ booming place it now is. However, it always had *potential* due to the solid stock of house in Dunn Loring, centered between 50/66/495 and 29.
Most especially because it has a Metro stop in the middle of it.

What sleepy, industrial or otherwise drivethru, nondestination, overlooked Fairfax County neighborhood do you believe will be a new, popular, realestate$ rising, destination neighborhood in 2026?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 09:54 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,437,880 times
True, but that potential was only realized because they created a $500 million Mosaic District in the middle of it. The next up and coming area will be whatever the next area is to receive the same treatment.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:16 AM

540 posts, read 793,865 times
Honestly, if they follow through on some sort of fix for Seven Corners, that would be an attractive non-Metro spot.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:45 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,122,764 times
The first that comes to mind for me is the older part of Herndon that will be close to the Herndon Station planned for Phase II of the Silver Line.

The second would be the part of Falls Church between Lee and Arlington Highways that is east of the Beltway and west of Route 7, due to its location and the boost the area will get when Falls Church HS is renovated (Greenway Downs, Woodley North, Pine Springs, City Park Homes).

Old 06-04-2016, 08:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,916,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Honestly, if they follow through on some sort of fix for Seven Corners, that would be an attractive non-Metro spot.
True but I think that possibilty got dumped when the Arlington Streetcar got killed
[url]https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/arlington-streetcar-failure-future[/url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
The first that comes to mind for me is the older part of Herndon that will be close to the Herndon Station planned for Phase II of the Silver Line.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
The second would be the part of Falls Church between Lee and Arlington Highways that is east of the Beltway and west of Route 7, due to its location and the boost the area will get when Falls Church HS is renovated (Greenway Downs, Woodley North, Pine Springs, City Park Homes).
Too late by 3 years

Old 06-04-2016, 08:39 PM

74 posts, read 82,344 times
There is potential in Alexandria City right near Landmark Center once they do the approved reconstruction of that mall. I also have high hopes (perhaps due to my living there) of some future cool factor for "downtown" Annandale. There is some development that is going to occur but not sure it will be enough.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:32 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,019,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesForAllVA View Post
There is potential in Alexandria City right near Landmark Center once they do the approved reconstruction of that mall. I also have high hopes (perhaps due to my living there) of some future cool factor for "downtown" Annandale. There is some development that is going to occur but not sure it will be enough.
Good point about Landmark. It's location is perfect - it has metro and it's close in, yet it's not desirable right now. I remember when Ballston was a similar place.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:16 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,593,405 times
I tried to get my committee folks on board to finance a large apartment project in the Landmark area 4 years ago. I saw the potential (especially with the plan for the mall), but my committee folks could not buy into it (they were in NY). I dumped that employer last year and went with someone who knows the market.

I'd say around Capital One, but seems price tags already know it's plans. It think wherever it is, is somewhere between Wolftrap and Reston, with heavy bias towards Reston. The silver line's influence is yet to be fully seen and understood, but logic given other submarkets that have boomed over the past 10 years would lend to the idea of following the silver line. Personally, my gut tells me Loudoun is the place to invest today, if you can carry the investment for another decade or so. Land is land, and they're not making any more it. So the cheaper you can get it, the more viable the investment potential.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:00 AM

153 posts, read 174,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Merrifield in 2008 was not the hipster up and coming real estate $$ booming place it now is. However, it always had *potential* due to the solid stock of house in Dunn Loring, centered between 50/66/495 and 29.
Most especially because it has a Metro stop in the middle of it.

What sleepy, industrial or otherwise drivethru, nondestination, overlooked Fairfax County neighborhood do you believe will be a new, popular, realestate$ rising, destination neighborhood in 2026?
If current economic trends continue, I think central Springfield has a bright future ahead of it. Regardless of whether or not the FBI headquarters relocate there, Springfield is steadily shedding its old stigmatized reputation as a worn-out suburb, and rapidly attracting new families and residents due to its centralized location in the region and relative affordability. The success of the first phase of the Springfield Town Center is a vivid example of this turnaround.

Unlike Tysons, central Springfield already has a compact street network in place west of I-95. In the coming years I could easily see some of those current shopping plazas transformed into mid-rise residential buildings with ground-level retail (just like the future phases of the Springfield Town Center propose on the east side of I-95).

One somewhat overlooked fact in southern and south-central Fairfax County is Fort Belvoir's anticipated growth in the coming two decades, and the impact that thousands of new/relocated defense employees will have on the surrounding region and its housing market. While housing and amenities will be expanded on the base itself, I think you can expect a number of surrounding or nearby neighborhoods (e.g., Springfield, Franconia, Lorton) to benefit as well -- despite increased traffic congestion.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:15 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,369,931 times
Merrifield and hipster? Since when?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia