Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 08:20 PM

232 posts, read 362,958 times

Advertisements

I have a walk-out, walk up basement. The area in front of the basement door collected water during the recent storm. It has the filter cover and there was not leaves clogging the top. While it did drain, it seems (to me) to drain pretty slowly. I will be calling a plumber on Monday to it checked out - but in advance, I have done some reading and find a lot of references to Hydro jetting being the "best" method to clean these types of drains.

Wondering if anyone has experience with it? Successful or no? More expensive than having it snaked?

Just hoping to gather some data to try to know "something" before I call to schedule the appointment!

Thanks in advance for any experiences shared, knowledge, recommendations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:07 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,586,353 times
I thought this exact same thing recently with our house, thought the drain was clogged up. It could be, but for us, it turned out to be a failing sump pump that could no longer keep up. Shortly after, it kept throwing the main fuse in the panel and died. Once it was replaced, it all drained correctly. We do have a little standing water in that drain at all times, but told that is normal. All of my neighbors do too.

That drain leads to the basin where the pump operates. How old is your pump by chance? Have you seen where it ejects the water in your yard, is it coming out with a decent amount of force? Easy way to check is to put the garden hose to that drain, go to the spot where the water comes out from the sump and wait and see.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:23 AM

232 posts, read 362,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I thought this exact same thing recently with our house, thought the drain was clogged up. It could be, but for us, it turned out to be a failing sump pump that could no longer keep up. Shortly after, it kept throwing the main fuse in the panel and died. Once it was replaced, it all drained correctly. We do have a little standing water in that drain at all times, but told that is normal. All of my neighbors do too.

That drain leads to the basin where the pump operates. How old is your pump by chance? Have you seen where it ejects the water in your yard, is it coming out with a decent amount of force? Easy way to check is to put the garden hose to that drain, go to the spot where the water comes out from the sump and wait and see.
I have no idea the age of the sump pump. I purchased this house a few months ago and while the inspector noted that it was working reviewing the report it does not detail the age nor where it drains to. I have done a quick walk around the yard and don't "see" anything that looks like a drain. (Other than my gutter downspouts.)

And this was my first home with a sump pump (and basement) so didn't know what questions to ask!

I can have the plumber check both at the same time. Definitely am not a fan of coming downstairs and having to spend an hour mopping up the floor after a heavy rain.

Last edited by leavingwash; 06-05-2016 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 10:30 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,586,353 times
If you go to the side of the house where your sump is located, just look along the lower area for a pipe coming out in the general area. That'll usually be the spot to start to the look for the final exit. My house is connected to a pipe that goes back under ground and out to the front yard with a "pop up" cap. Ever since having it replaced, that area of the yard is almost always damp. If you have one like that, just look for the greenest grass in the area.

Definitely have the sump checked though. Ours was original, 16 years old. It's that one item that you never want to know had a problem, when it had a problem! I think we paid around $900 for a heavy-duty new one installed. Another way to see if it has a problem is listen for it to run. If anything sounds off whatsoever, you might have something. Things do tend to get pulled into it's impeller every now and then. Usually they'll clear themselves, usually.

Our seals began to fail, allowing water to creep inside of it, which was causing the fuse to throw in the main panel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia