Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,537,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I don't know. My friend lives in Vienna and takes the orange line into the city. His normal 45 minute commute was 1.5 hours yesterday morning. His office is planning a lot of telework days during the weeks the Orange line is being worked on. This clearly is going to suck for a lot of people.
I believe you. I think it's had a major impact on 66.

I should have prefaced it about the effects that it was supposed to have on Arlington and DC. This definitely sucks for anyone west of Arlington. But from my experience, I got downtown by car in 15 minutes Monday (granted it was 7am). Absolutely no traffic.

Also, noticed today that this is wreaking havoc on Capital Bikeshare -- everyone is biking downtown so there are no bikes left in the residential areas. Ive never had such an issue getting a bike as I did this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 01:15 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,500,907 times
For traffic I think it is important to remember that traffic is usually lighter post memorial day to labor day. So if traffic is bad now it can get worse in the fall through winter.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:39 PM

118 posts, read 205,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
For traffic I think it is important to remember that traffic is usually lighter post memorial day to labor day. So if traffic is bad now it can get worse in the fall through winter.
Disagreed, June is usually very bad traffic wise here, but after fourth of July weekend, traffic does get better until post Labor Day Weekend.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:06 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,104,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I believe you. I think it's had a major impact on 66.

I should have prefaced it about the effects that it was supposed to have on Arlington and DC. This definitely sucks for anyone west of Arlington. But from my experience, I got downtown by car in 15 minutes Monday (granted it was 7am). Absolutely no traffic.

Also, noticed today that this is wreaking havoc on Capital Bikeshare -- everyone is biking downtown so there are no bikes left in the residential areas. Ive never had such an issue getting a bike as I did this morning.
During the heart of rush hour, which is later than 7 AM, the worst areas by far when traveling east by car or bus appear to be near Court House and Rosslyn in Arlington, so this is certainly having a major impact on some Arlington commuters as well.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
During the heart of rush hour, which is later than 7 AM, the worst areas by far when traveling east by car or bus appear to be near Court House and Rosslyn in Arlington, so this is certainly having a major impact on some Arlington commuters as well.
Yeah but that's nothing new. 50 heading into Rosslyn is always bad. And actually I drove on 50 during rush hour around 530 and it was no different than usual -- if anything maybe lighter.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:28 AM

21 posts, read 27,379 times
This morning was brutal driving into the city. My commute from Clarendon to L'Enfant took about an hour (with no traffic takes me 10-12 min, usual morning rush hour about 18-20 min).

I think Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursdays are going to be a real PITA since more people telework/take vacation at the beginning and end of the week. I may have to suck it up and Metro on Wednesdays even though it typically take me twice as long with the walk to and from.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,500,907 times
Quote:
Yeah but that's nothing new. 50 heading into Rosslyn is always bad. And actually I drove on 50 during rush hour around 530 and it was no different than usual -- if anything maybe lighter.
At 5:30 PM the traffic going east is much different than 8:00 AM.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:58 AM

540 posts, read 792,116 times
Quote:
My wife takes 50 (eastbound in the morning, west in the afternoon) and she hasn't had any problems yet, which I have actually found to be odd. 66 is definitely heavier in the mornings inside the beltway and just from Google Maps it looks like 395 is even more of a debacle than normal.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
At 5:30 PM the traffic going east is much different than 8:00 AM.
I was talking about west. Traffic backs up at the Pershing Drive light.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:53 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,338,755 times
Now that you have purchased a lifestyle out in Loudoun, you can now think was it really worth it, and waking up at 5am is really quality of life and happiness for you and your family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia