Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:54 AM

9,890 posts, read 14,174,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Now that you have purchased a lifestyle out in Loudoun, you can now think was it really worth it, and waking up at 5am is really quality of life and happiness for you and your family?
Not sure who, specifically, this comment was aimed at, but as someone who commutes from Loudoun to DC daily, I'll answer. I've done this now for six years, and STILL love the bucolic area where I live. I would not change it. Certainly worth the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 05:36 AM

15,445 posts, read 25,874,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Now that you have purchased a lifestyle out in Loudoun, you can now think was it really worth it, and waking up at 5am is really quality of life and happiness for you and your family?
We get up at 4:30 am to commute from Ashburn to Sterling. Only thing is that we work at 6 am. It was worth it for my family.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:40 AM

15,445 posts, read 25,874,182 times
Now that silliness is out of the way, there was definitely more traffic on some of the back roads of North Arlington and Falls Church area yesterday afternoon on our way to Arlington. It took longer, but wasn't too bad.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,747,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I don't know. My friend lives in Vienna and takes the orange line into the city. His normal 45 minute commute was 1.5 hours yesterday morning. His office is planning a lot of telework days during the weeks the Orange line is being worked on. This clearly is going to suck for a lot of people.
How is that possible? Are the trains running slower? Once on a train, your commute time should not change.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,322,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How is that possible? Are the trains running slower? Once on a train, your commute time should not change.
Of course the trains are running slower. They're single tracking so workers can do the maintenance. How would they be doing the work if all tracks were in use?

Old 06-09-2016, 12:11 PM

100 posts, read 131,093 times
My colleagues who take the orange/silver line are currently dealing with the single tracking pain, it's taking them almost twice as long from Vienna/Reston to downtown DC. I'm on the blue line so haven't been hugely impacted yet. Those who take the Loudoun Commuter bus also note the higher than usual traffic volume.

I can deal with the single tracking but have no good alternatives during the line segment shutdown. There is discussion that buses will be provided to connect but whether they will be sufficient is another thing.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:03 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Unlike NYC Philly and Chicago, DC is a 2 track system. This means if one set of tracks is being worked on both northbound and southbound trains must share one set of track. Imagine you have 2 hotweelcars sharing one track. If your blue car does not stop to let the red car pass, they will crash headon
Big cities don't have this problem as they built 4 sets of track(as opposed to 2 with a rare tiny sidetrack indiscriminately shoved in corners here and there that cheapo DC built)

Also this majorly slows and backs up the metro as cars must queue to get their chance to pass by opposite metro cars

The entire system will take turns running this way for at least a year per Wiedefeld/Jack Evans at Metro

Old 06-09-2016, 03:18 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Now that silliness is out of the way, there was definitely more traffic on some of the back roads of North Arlington and Falls Church area yesterday afternoon on our way to Arlington. It took longer, but wasn't too bad.
This morning I got on 66 W from the Washington Blvd exit. 66 E was an absolute parking lot at that point when typically the cars are still moving eastbound even at 7:40 am. I noticed 50 W in the afternoon is even more brutal than usual.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This morning I got on 66 W from the Washington Blvd exit. 66 E was an absolute parking lot at that point when typically the cars are still moving eastbound even at 7:40 am. I noticed 50 W in the afternoon is even more brutal than usual.
My DH was telecommuting M,T and W and was ok'd to telework until next week as he takes Orange line from FFx. Wednesday morning OPM put out a memo to fed mgrs to encourage telewoking/shifted schedules for any employees affected by #SafeTrack :thumpsup:
That afternoon, my hubbys mgr emailed everyone that unless they have a time-sensitive item to work on, they must report to work in person.
His mgr alone put a bunch of people on the roads/Metro/etc that were home M,T and W. How many other feds who can't comprehend OPM's memo threw people into commuting that were home earlier in the week?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:29 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,105,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There was a bad two-car accident on 66E in Arlington this am - it closed down one lane between EFC and Ballston. Saw it from a Metro train around the time you were heading west. That would have slowed down traffic considerably under any circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia