Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 03:02 PM

776 posts, read 1,067,639 times

Advertisements

I was trying to search through here for useful info, but striking out. .

Just wondering how the 66 construction to and from Gainesville and Haymarket have turned out and if it is helping the traffic yet - and what the commute looks like now.

Also the same questions for 50 out to South Riding.

We lived there a few times and when we left the last time, they were working pretty hard on both expansions. Just wondering if it hass improved to the point that someone should be excited to move to one of those areas yet.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 03:09 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
The construction on 50 has slightly improved the traffic, but the multi-year lane widening project on 606 is driving more cars onto 50. That and all of the new neighborhoods west of Stone Ridge make 50 a road I would rather not drive. I choose to go north and pay for the Greenway.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:33 PM

interesting, I guess I didn't think about people venturing from 66 to 50 out that way. Seems like it would add a bit of distance to the commute. But to each their own I guess. I was really hoping to hear that it has helped a lot, but maybe its doing nothing more than keeping it afloat sort to speak.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:37 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
interesting, I guess I didn't think about people venturing from 66 to 50 out that way. Seems like it would add a bit of distance to the commute. But to each their own I guess. I was really hoping to hear that it has helped a lot, but maybe its doing nothing more than keeping it afloat sort to speak.
Not people from 66, people that normally take 606 (Old Ox Road), which is the only other road that takes you west to 28 from South Riding/ Stone Ridge.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 AM

66 posts, read 101,027 times
wonder why they only added a lane to 50..
They need to add at least 2-3 more lanes again..

Old 06-14-2016, 09:31 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,465,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasticx View Post
wonder why they only added a lane to 50..
They need to add at least 2-3 more lanes again..
Uhhh, 6 lanes in each direction is not going to make things a lot better - there's a thing called diminishing returns. The ingress/egress points (e.g., a ton of traffic lights) are what makes things killer. Well designed grade-separated interchanges will help a lot more than additional lanes.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 AM

170 posts, read 200,134 times
I can't imagine these roads ever getting better. As soon as construction is finished, there's just more houses being built farther down.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:33 AM

that's always the problem though. That, and the fact that city/county allows permits for those homes to be built just for some tax dollars which in turn costs them a whole lot more to build roads to get to the houses. I can't believe there isn't a cap space on the amount of homes to be built versus the amount of roadway in use or to be in use. Sometimes it seems like such simple economics but never seems to be put in place. I understand that people need homes

Old 06-15-2016, 09:16 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,586,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post
I can't imagine these roads ever getting better. As soon as construction is finished, there's just more houses being built farther down.
This is one of the reasons why we moved from a new home to a 15 year old home. The area we're in now is fully built out with no more room to develop anything. Like the idea of a new home, but really grew tired of the constant construction after 4 straight years of it, with at least another 10 in front of us before being completely done. When folks ask me about moving to Loudoun, after they've come out and loved what they saw (model homes), I always tell them to look at their area of interest with a developer's mindset. Does it look like something a developer would like to develop? Because if it does, odds are it very well might be done.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:00 AM

I completely agree - if there's empty land somewhere, then someone will likely build on it no days. Which causes major concerns in traffic, infrastructure etc.

We gee tired of this there and when we lived in Charlotte Nc. Builders were popping up neighborhoods on every piece of farm land that was accessible. After 200 homes went up then on to the next. Eventually those single lane roads were jammed for hours with people trying to get to their new dream home. After they get through the stop lights and after the other 199 people get home too. It's sickening. Congestion just gets worse and worse. You're way better off buying a fixer upper closer in. My wife and I chose to use simple math when we debated about buying a home out in haymaket or in and older part of fairfax - I told her to take her salary and break it down hourly, then figure out how many more hours each week/year she is on the road and the multiply that by 1.5 because it's not just time, but quality time you're away from family - then times it by your salary, then times it by 8 (the average number of years one stays In a home) and then see what the price difference is between that great new home and a decent home closer in

Fairfax $650k
Haymaket $490k

125k salary is about $60 an hour
60x2(extra hours a day)X 20(days per month)x12 months=$28800 per year just in time. $230k over 8 years.That's not factoring in gas
Well that's a lot when decide that saving $150k to move far out is worth it. Then just imagine the stress one takes on too when doing the commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: