Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 2,250 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family and I relocating from south FL. We moved here 12yrs ago from NJ and are moving to VA in a week. At the moment we are both virtual employees in the tech industry. We hear there are a ton of tech jobs in the area (preference would be to not work in DC).
We recently visited Ashburn in search of a rental (~2200 for 3bd/2ba) looking for great schools and with a developed community. We unfortunately didn't find a rental in time and did not make the time to research other cities, therefore we are still searching.
Questions:
What cities compare to Ashburn in regards to schools (middle school)?
What cities offer soccer programs for kids? I know in Ashburn there is Loudoun soccer, how does it compare to Reston Soccer or other cities recommended?
We're looking for a city that offers great schools, stores very nearby, great soccer programs, not too far from cities where tech opportunities would be available with minimal drive (should the need arise to find new employment) and not too far from DC to enjoy all its amenities on weekends or evenings.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:37 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,260,371 times
Reston is good option - as it gets you a little closer to DC. All of Northern Virginia have soccer programs - soccer is very big here. I just did a search on MRIS homes and found several properties that meet your criteria.

Listing Search Form - Search for Real Estate Properties | MRIShomes.com

I just did another search and found this wonderful property just a little above your range.
http://www.mrishomes.com/rentals/201...0191-180957232

Last edited by JfromReston; 06-15-2016 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Additional property

Old 06-15-2016, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,250 times
Thanks for the reply. Wow that 2nd one would be a dream come true for my son - an avid fisher! Unfortunately the middle and high school have poor school ratings according to greatschools.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:53 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,260,371 times
I live very near the middle school/high school and have many neighbors who are very pleased with the schools. Please do more research on the schools before you dismiss this area.

Here is a list of where the South Lakes High School seniors are going to college next year.
https://www.restonnow.com/2016/06/03...g-in-the-fall/

Here is a list of SAT scores that crosses all the local counties. South Lakes High School has a higher average SAT score then any Loudoun County High School.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...at-scores.html

Last edited by JfromReston; 06-15-2016 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Add SAT information

Old 06-23-2016, 07:29 AM

11 posts, read 8,446 times
OP,

Can you share some information? I pm'ed you. Please check your direct message. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: