Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,991,080 times

Advertisements

Has anyone declared their Cuban Cigar purchases at IAD Customs, under the new laws? Under 100 USD is the limit, I believe, but some times rent-a-cops like to make up their own rules, and I would like to avoid shouting matches with side-burned fire plugs after a 22 hour trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Cuban Cigars...IAD Customs...-tsa-grope.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 05:05 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,286,328 times
I don't believe CBP officers are considered rent a cops.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:23 AM

39 posts, read 41,083 times
Make sure they are aware of the new laws. Ask for a supervisor, if that's an option.

You could always make some noise publicly, in the press etc. if you think you're in the right, and it means that much to you.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:50 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,434,384 times
I assume you are aware that the cigars have to purchased directly in Cuba on a legal trip...you can't bring back Cuban cigars you bought in Mexico or wherever (that are likely fake anyway). If you have a receipt showing the legal purchase in Cuba you will be able to keep them no problem.

If the above is not the case then don't declare them and hope for the best. A lot of people also take the labels off and just claim them as Honduran. Worst case if you get searched they take them and send you your on your way cigarless (assuming you have <$100 worth and not a suitcase full).

Old 06-20-2016, 10:31 AM

I would be buying from Duty Free in Seoul or Tokyo....not fake, and actually, if you have any sense at all, you can find real Cubans in Mexico, but not off someone who is selling piñatas. Since there aren't any direct flights yet, your interpretation seems unlikely, but I would be interested to see a link.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:12 AM

778 posts, read 1,060,642 times
Here's what CBP says:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...g-cuban-cigars

Can I import or bring Cuban cigars into the U.S. for personal use?

Persons authorized to travel to Cuba may purchase alcohol and tobacco products while in Cuba for personal consumption while there. Authorized travelers may return to the United States with up to $100 worth of alcohol or tobacco or a combination of both. Products acquired in Cuba may be in accompanied baggage, for personal use only.

Purchasing Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin alcohol over the internet or while in a third country (i.e. not Cuba) remains prohibited.

For more information about travel to Cuba, please see the Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC.

Good luck with those Seoul or Tokyo purchases.

Last edited by djplourd; 06-20-2016 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: added hyperlink

Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM

Thanks for clarifying..what a pantload of BS. It is so kind of them to be considerate enough to allow us to now smoke Cuban Cigars while in a third country. I'm sure a lot of Americans living in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Seoul, Tokyo will be relieved to know what they've been doing for 20+ years is now OK. I'll make sure I send some bananas to the Obamas to show my appreciation.

I hope CBP is as well versed on the new floating remote control bombs the Muslims are using in the Gulf of Thailand, but I have my doubts.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:33 PM

540 posts, read 792,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Thanks for clarifying..what a pantload of BS. It is so kind of them to be considerate enough to allow us to now smoke Cuban Cigars while in a third country. I'm sure a lot of Americans living in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Seoul, Tokyo will be relieved to know what they've been doing for 20+ years is now OK. I'll make sure I send some bananas to the Obamas to show my appreciation.

I hope CBP is as well versed on the new floating remote control bombs the Muslims are using in the Gulf of Thailand, but I have my doubts.
Setting aside what could easily be perceived as a racist comment, I have to ask - what is your beef with Obama here? It is his administration that is slowly opening the doors to Cuba after 50+ years. Shouldn't any vitriol be pointed at all of the past administrations, and especially the Republicans who are more heavily for the Cuban embargo?

Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 PM

JFK started it, and he regularly smoked them....Bill Clinton also smoked them, among other things he did with them.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:35 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,774,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Setting aside what could easily be perceived as a racist comment, I have to ask - what is your beef with Obama here? It is his administration that is slowly opening the doors to Cuba after 50+ years. Shouldn't any vitriol be pointed at all of the past administrations, and especially the Republicans who are more heavily for the Cuban embargo?
Lol. I was thinking the same thing. This poster is either an awful troll or spent a too many hours smoking cigars in his basement man cave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia