Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:08 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Yesterday it was a little strange, I saw this guy, in the morning walking on (South) Reston Parkway, with an orange gun rights supporter T-shirt, and appears that he was disabled or something because his right arm was useless. He also was packing a firearm outside his left side pocket. It was kind of awkward. I've seen people wearing firearms in Walmart and various restaurants. OK I have no problem with firearms but it was a little weird. If anyone here is LEO, BOLO.
Why should LEO BOLO? What did the guy do wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 04:56 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
From the description, he was not brandishing firearms. In VA, is not considered "brandishing" to simply show a holstered weapon. Open carry is legal and not brandishing (the definition of which involves waving or flourishing).
Sorry, I assumed brandishing = displaying. English is not my first language. Fully aware that its legal, but I still consider it mindless and something that is completely unnecessary. I shudder to think what it would be like if open carry was a common trend here.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
It's great if you teach your students about what the law permits, so they understand that.

I don't know that you should be instructing them not to "react negatively" when they encounter someone who is carrying openly. Depending on the circumstances, it might make the difference between their staying alive and getting shot (far too many examples of mass shootings now in this country to bother citing examples). In any event, they have the right to express their disdain for the Virginia law.
Let me expand.

I never instruct the students to not react negatively when they encounter someone with a gun. I didn't write that. Of course there are a multitude of circumstances and there is no way we could cover them all. It's a general overview/discussion of what is and is not allowed. They understand that a person is allowed to walk down the sidewalk safely carrying openly.

This discussion typically arises after the students have studied the American Revolution. As I mentioned, part of what they learn about includes the Virginia Declaration of Rights, the Statute of Religious Freedom, and the United States Constitution. As fourth graders they are very curious and always have questions. Discussion of what the law permits (not only regarding arms, but also other areas such as the quartering of soldiers, freedom of speech etc.) is an essential part of their learning. I would never squash a student's interest or expression. I never said they couldn't. Of course, if a student expresses disdain for VA law, he/she is free to do so. It is though usually more of a discussion and less of a debate.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:11 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
What is LEO BOLO?

Old 07-01-2016, 05:28 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
What is LEO BOLO?
Law Enforcement Officer. Be On Look Out. (I'm not sure what for since this person was doing nothing wrong but some people get scared easily.)

Old 07-01-2016, 05:31 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Law Enforcement Officer. Be On Look Out. (I'm not sure what for since this person was doing nothing wrong but some people get scared easily.)
Ohhhhh I feel like a dope. Thank you for answering and let's just pretend I never asked.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
Quote:
Ohhhhh I feel like a dope. Thank you for answering and let's just pretend I never asked.
No, never feel like a dope asking a question. . . That's the only way to learn. I know when I first started learning about guns and things, I was asking lotsa questions. . Living in Mont Co, I took it for granted what the Democrats say but then I started reading and learning and made a complete chance of opinion.

Keep asking!

Old 07-01-2016, 07:44 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times
Quote:
What is LEO BOLO?
Not to show off, but it's Latin for "The lion is wearing a Western-style necktie."

Old 07-01-2016, 08:55 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Not to show off, but it's Latin for "The lion is wearing a Western-style necktie."
Very good. Actually, that was excellent.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:41 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Sorry, I assumed brandishing = displaying. English is not my first language. Fully aware that its legal, but I still consider it mindless and something that is completely unnecessary. I shudder to think what it would be like if open carry was a common trend here.
Do some research on cases where people carrying legally saved the lives of people being robbed, assaulted and so on. If you see the gun someone is wearing in public then this person is the one most likely to be a law-abiding citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia