Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:01 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,754,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Very good. Actually, that was excellent.
Foie gras! (French for "Aw, thanks!" Can also mean "There is grass in your foyer," depending on context.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 09:13 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,275,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Do some research on cases where people carrying legally saved the lives of people being robbed, assaulted and so on. If you see the gun someone is wearing in public then this person is the one most likely to be a law-abiding citizen.
How can we tell the difference between a “bad guy with a gun” and a “good guy with a gun” before the “bad guy” shoots or kills someone?

Old 07-03-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
How can we tell the difference between a “bad guy with a gun” and a “good guy with a gun” before the “bad guy” shoots or kills someone?
I don't think mass shooters (whether mentally ill or terrorists) usually walk around with the sidearm in a holster before they start killing people. If someone has a rifle on their back and is not in hunting attire or near a hunting area, that would get my attention for sure. If it's in their hand and not in a case, that's alarming (and I believe would amount to brandishing).

Old 07-03-2016, 10:05 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,293,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Do you really need this explained? I know someone already did but I'm quite surprised you asked this.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:09 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,545,440 times
Quote:
Do some research on cases where people carrying legally saved the lives of people being robbed, assaulted and so on. If you see the gun someone is wearing in public then this person is the one most likely to be a law-abiding citizen.
Which is a statistically miniscule number. I would venture more toddlers are killed by guns than lives saved "by people packing heat" fairytale. Anecdotes do not equal numbers or data.

OP, all I would say is it's Virginia. It's still a pretty damn conservative state.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I don't think mass shooters (whether mentally ill or terrorists) usually walk around with the sidearm in a holster before they start killing people. If someone has a rifle on their back and is not in hunting attire or near a hunting area, that would get my attention for sure. If it's in their hand and not in a case, that's alarming (and I believe would amount to brandishing).
Don't go out to Strasburg, VA. Little town here in the valley off I 81 near I 66. There is a guy who walks around with a long gun often for no other reason he can. He doesn't bother anyone and no one bothers him. And this scenario would not rise to brandishing going by VA law. At least not without doing something to induce fear into someone and just walking around won't do it.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Don't go out to Strasburg, VA. Little town here in the valley off I 81 near I 66. There is a guy who walks around with a long gun often for no other reason he can. He doesn't bother anyone and no one bothers him. And this scenario would not rise to brandishing going by VA law. At least not without doing something to induce fear into someone and just walking around won't do it.
I'm curious: Is it strapped to his back or in his hand? I thought in the hand it would be brandishing (but could be wrong). I know if a saw a guy with a long gun in his arms and not in camo/bright orange, I'd start thinking some poo is about to hit the propeller. On his back, I'd think he just bought it or that he's just some nut going out of his way to make a point for no reason, which is what sounds like he is.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:18 AM

There is nothing in the law that says the gun has to be holstered or strapped to someone's back. One can carry there gun anyway they wish in VA. It's their actions/movements that would make it rise to the level of Brandishing. But the guy in Strasburg is carrying it on his back whenever I've seen him as I pass through.

That said. It would be unusual and strange to see someone walking down a street or through a store just carrying their weapon. It would no doubt draw some serious attention.

Last edited by Bigfoot424; 07-03-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Which is a statistically miniscule number. I would venture more toddlers are killed by guns than lives saved "by people packing heat" fairytale. Anecdotes do not equal numbers or data.

OP, all I would say is it's Virginia. It's still a pretty damn conservative state.
I never said it was a large number.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:47 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,366,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

Perhaps this is where education on gun safety would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia