Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 06:49 PM

57 posts, read 68,584 times

Advertisements

Hi, and congratulations on the new job!

A lot of apartments here are pet friendly, but they may have breed restrictions, so make sure you check into that. (You didn't mention breed, I just wanted to put it out there.) That said, when I first moved here I had a chow, but because my roommate already had a lease she was adding me to, they "grandfathered" me in. So, I can't say they all really comply with their own rules, either.

A privately owned rental may be the easiest option, as someone else posted, using mrishomes.com. The condos that are rentals where I live seem to be very pet friendly, and I've seen dobermans and pit bulls here, so I'm assuming not breed specific either. I'd look in Ashburn, Herndon, Chantilly, Fairfax, and even Centreville. I think they all would be a decent commute to Sterling. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,414,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess73 View Post
Hi, and congratulations on the new job!

A lot of apartments here are pet friendly, but they may have breed restrictions, so make sure you check into that. (You didn't mention breed, I just wanted to put it out there.) That said, when I first moved here I had a chow, but because my roommate already had a lease she was adding me to, they "grandfathered" me in. So, I can't say they all really comply with their own rules, either.

A privately owned rental may be the easiest option, as someone else posted, using mrishomes.com. The condos that are rentals where I live seem to be very pet friendly, and I've seen dobermans and pit bulls here, so I'm assuming not breed specific either. I'd look in Ashburn, Herndon, Chantilly, Fairfax, and even Centreville. I think they all would be a decent commute to Sterling. Good luck!
Agreed with also looking in Herdon, Chantilly and Ashburn. Not that there's anything wrong with Sterling but those are all also pretty good locations to commute to Sterling from so you can keep your options open.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:15 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,677,124 times
Thanks for all of the help and info! I did end up going with a privately owned rental in Ashburn. I do agree that a 'reverse commute' as someone else mentioned, would be a great idea, and I did look in Reston and Herdon. However, Ashburn came up a winner first, and I dont think my commute is going to be too bad...

Thanks again, all!

Old 07-24-2016, 02:43 PM

52 posts, read 64,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Thanks for all of the help and info! I did end up going with a privately owned rental in Ashburn. I do agree that a 'reverse commute' as someone else mentioned, would be a great idea, and I did look in Reston and Herdon. However, Ashburn came up a winner first, and I dont think my commute is going to be too bad...

Thanks again, all!
I know the decision has already been made, but just be aware that there's only two roads that lead into and out of Ashburn towards Sterling (I don't count the Toll Road as one): Route 7 and Waxpool Rd. Gloucester Parkway will eventually provide a third route, connecting Loudoun County Parkway and Nokes Blvd--but how much that improves congestion will have to be seen.

Leave early and pack your patience, else be prepared to spend 30 to 40 minutes in traffic just to go 5 miles. ;-)

Old 07-24-2016, 03:01 PM

15,461 posts, read 25,906,787 times
Gloucester is almost ready to be opened!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,677,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Gloucester is almost ready to be opened!
I heard that it was almost ready to be opened...has it opened yet? It may end up saving me time on my commute.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:18 PM

12 posts, read 16,895 times
We've lived in Sterling for well over 30 years. Your commute from Herndon or Reston would be against most rush hour traffic, assuming you have a 9-5 or so job, and probably very reasonable. Leesburg and Ashburn would be with rush hour traffic toward DC and therefore longer and more stressful. The whole area you mentioned has several levels of home purchase costs: expensive, extremely expensive, outlandishly expensive, etc.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 AM

30 posts, read 35,833 times
Gloucester will open on 4 Aug.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:16 PM

52 posts, read 64,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guineamom View Post
Gloucester will open on 4 Aug.
August 4 at noon! Guess I won't be taking Nokes to Pacific anymore. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia