Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:40 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,216,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Bigfoot--

Thank you for your input on this. I am hoping that once I get the ticket it will make more sense. He was pulled over trying to read it all to me and I told him to just forget it and get moving. I agree that it doesn't make sense about what he said about "giving him a break because he was being polite." I didn't detect much of a "break" either but he said something about "not suspending his license."

At this point, the real hard part will be finding a good attorney, which all I have to go on is the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Can I assume you are not the parent of a grown child? And yes, I mean child cause even though he's a college student he's still a kid in the eyes of the parents.
No, not a parent. But I would assume they always remain a child in a parent's eyes, no matter the age; and that doesn't end with a diploma.

But this specific incident is a perfect chance to teach some basic life skills. I received a ticket for underage drinking at age 19. My parents were completely hands off. I figured it out and had no long lasting ill repurcussions.

I did learn, though. Might not of if my parents took care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 12:41 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,216,032 times
]

Quote:
Can I assume you are not the parent of a grown child? And yes, I mean child cause even though he's a college student he's still a kid in the eyes of the parents.
No, not a parent. But I would assume they always remain a child in a parent's eyes, no matter the age; and that doesn't end with a diploma.

But this specific incident is a perfect chance to teach some basic life skills. I received a ticket for underage drinking at age 19. My parents were completely hands off. I figured it out and had no long lasting ill repurcussions.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:46 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,711,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

Funny, my older child got an underage in college (she may have been 18 or 19). I had nothing to do with and she handled the whole thing on her own. It also didn't have a $2500 fine and attorney fees involved. Additionally, her college intervened on that one and put anyone who got one of those into some program that sort of took care of everything, so it was parenting in a way.

At 21 I was married and living in another country, so I get what you are trying to say here.

He's a good kid and has never had one ounce of trouble in his life but I'm probably not going to let him decide to pick an attorney without me vetting it. I'm also not going to let him hang out to dry because he doesn't have the funds to take care of this in 4 weeks time.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:55 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,873 times
Quote:
I suppose I could just wash my hands of it and let him figure it all out, money and all.
This. You aren't doing him any favors. He got himself into a jam, and he can get himself out of it. He is not sitting in jail. He hasn't gotten kicked out of school. This is a small thing in the grand scheme of things. I'm not even a tough love type. You should definitely look up snowplow parenting though.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/201...xUP/story.html

Old 07-24-2016, 12:56 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,873 times
Quote:
Funny, my older child got an underage in college (she may have been 18 or 19). I had nothing to do with and she handled the whole thing on her own. It also didn't have a $2500 fine and attorney fees involved. Additionally, her college intervened on that one and put anyone who got one of those into some program that sort of took care of everything, so it was parenting in a way.

At 21 I was married and living in another country, so I get what you are trying to say here.

He's a good kid and has never had one ounce of trouble in his life but I'm probably not going to let him decide to pick an attorney without me vetting it. I'm also not going to let him hang out to dry because he doesn't have the funds to take care of this in 4 weeks time.
What you are literally saying is that you don't have faith that your son can make intelligent or thought out decisions by himself. Even though your daughter did. Even though you did at his age.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:00 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,711,887 times
OK, everyone. I'm out.

I see this it turning into your typical internet pile on regarding what superior parents you are.

It's really none of your business if I look up lawyers on the internet, he looks them up, we both look them up this evening etc.

Continue on with all lecturing and holier-than-thou parenting if it makes you feel good though...you people are ridiculous. LOL.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:11 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,878,024 times
Quote:

I think others are forgetting that there is a possibility of him getting his license suspended, then how is he going to get back to school? That will cost him and you more $$ down the line. While I think you should and will hold him responsible for this mistake, he is still a dependent and a little intervention is not a bad thing to keep a stupid mistake (though a questionable law magnifies that mistake) from turning into a major hassle for him and you.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:15 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,754,918 times
This is a pretty interesting firsthand account of an automotive journalist's experience getting an RD ticket in Rapahannock County, for which he did a weekend in jail: Never Speed In Virginia: Lessons From My Three Days In Jail
A few weeks later my lawyer met with the prosecutor. He told me Rappahannock County, where I was cited, has a new judge who doesn’t take kindly to speeders. The old judge had a Porsche and a sense of humor, he said; this new one didn’t, and he’s yelled at the prosecutor before for cutting “sweetheart” deals for people who go over 90. Even if my lawyer and the prosecutor had worked out a deal with light penalties, the judge was likely to reject it.

The best plea deal I got was a fine of about $400 with court costs, a 10-day suspension of my license in Virginia, and three days in jail. The judge has an option of giving one day in jail for every mile an hour over 90 mph, and he would exercise it here.
What's interesting is that he received a much worse punishment than it seems he would've in Fairfax County. If you look in the Virginia Courts site and search by county, you can see the various infractions and what sentences resulted.

https://eapps.courts.state.va.us/gdc...ge=welcomePage

On the lefthand menu, go to "Case Status Information" and choose from "Harrisonburg/Rockingham" from the pulldown list of courts. Since you can't search by type of offense, you can search for a common surname.

E.g., I searched under "Smith" and found one person found guilty in absentia in 2011 for doing over 80 in a 55. Sentence: No jail, no suspension, $150.00 fine plus court costs of $81.00.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:26 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,293,563 times
Big difference in cases here. This guy was a complete moron and the road he was on has killed people to include a friend of mine. This case is much different.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:58 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,754,918 times
Quote:
Big difference in cases here. This guy was a complete moron and the road he was on has killed people to include a friend of mine. This case is much different.
Sorry to hear that. Good to know her son won't likely get the same punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia