Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,181 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on which neighborhoods would be appropriate for 56 year olds in either Ashburn or Leesburg?
We are originally from Massachusetts most recently southern NH and have lived in Maryland for 10 years. My husband's job is now in Ashburn,VA near 267. We always have lived in a suburban neighborhood since our kids were small. They are now grown and we were thinking of trying something different. We like One Loudon, Potomac Green, Belmont Country Club,Regency at Ashburn and Landsdowne. We want to be in an area with activities and people of similar age and interest although we don't necessarily need an age restricted community. Walking to entertainment and lots of community activities is what we prefer. We are hoping to find a single family with at least 3,000 sq ft and a finished basement. A condo is an option but would prefer one with an elevator. Pro's and con's are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 AM

526 posts, read 903,188 times
What is your price range?

Old 08-01-2016, 07:58 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,256,412 times
If considering the condo option, Reston Town Center may interest you.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:34 AM

12 posts, read 16,869 times
We've lived in Sterling for over 30 years, and are in Ashburn and Leesburg fairly regularly for shopping. I would consider both of them poor as far as walkability is concerned. Ashburn especially is a car-necessary kind of sprawl suburb.
I don't have the foggiest idea how you, or anyone, would pre-determine common interests for one's neighbors. Even if one neighbor is also a member of the local fencing club, say, the others wouldn't be.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:42 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,578,051 times
Don't know what your budget is, but off the top of my head, the northern side of the neighborhood in Leesburg called "River Creek" sounds like a pretty good fit. The southern side is where the majority of the next generation of young families are moving into as the homes become available. The northern side is where a lot of the maturing families / empty nesters are located. Some beautiful townhomes with elevators on that side, and a short walk to the club house (it's a gated country club community). The club is run by ClubCorp, so lots of financial support behind it to keep it up and looking great 24/7. If you've seen Belmont Country Club and liked it, then you should also see River Creek just a couple of miles away too. You might like it better (a little more diversity in the housing styles and curb appeal, in my opinion).

Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Don't know what your budget is, but off the top of my head, the northern side of the neighborhood in Leesburg called "River Creek" sounds like a pretty good fit. The southern side is where the majority of the next generation of young families are moving into as the homes become available. The northern side is where a lot of the maturing families / empty nesters are located. Some beautiful townhomes with elevators on that side, and a short walk to the club house (it's a gated country club community). The club is run by ClubCorp, so lots of financial support behind it to keep it up and looking great 24/7. If you've seen Belmont Country Club and liked it, then you should also see River Creek just a couple of miles away too. You might like it better (a little more diversity in the housing styles and curb appeal, in my opinion).
I forgot about River Creek! It is very nice and desirable there. I just am wondering about the age of the properties there? We are at the point where we don't want to have to replace heating/AC/roof or anything of that nature. New construction has been our last 3 properties. Wish it was within walking distance to downtown Leesburg.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:36 AM

239 posts, read 282,142 times
Ryan homes has a new development in downtown leesburg called crescent place. Mostly two to three level town homes with stairs. A new SFH in leesburg town limits is going to be tough. Your best bet would be to buy an old home and build a new one in its place.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:01 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,578,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsprings View Post
I forgot about River Creek! It is very nice and desirable there. I just am wondering about the age of the properties there? We are at the point where we don't want to have to replace heating/AC/roof or anything of that nature. New construction has been our last 3 properties. Wish it was within walking distance to downtown Leesburg.

Certainly notable concerns given the age of the neighborhood (some built in 2000 towards the back, some built as recently as 2010 at the front). But the builders that were in there are considered by many to be the best in the market in terms of quality and materials used, especially back then. There is also a good chance that some of your concerns may have already been address by the current owner too. I wouldn't let an ac unit or 10 year old roof scare you off if you really like the neighborhood. Always room to negotiate on the purchase price for such items.

Good luck!!

Old 08-08-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Certainly notable concerns given the age of the neighborhood (some built in 2000 towards the back, some built as recently as 2010 at the front). But the builders that were in there are considered by many to be the best in the market in terms of quality and materials used, especially back then. There is also a good chance that some of your concerns may have already been address by the current owner too. I wouldn't let an ac unit or 10 year old roof scare you off if you really like the neighborhood. Always room to negotiate on the purchase price for such items.

Good luck!!
Good point! We currently own an NV Home so I agree that they have quality homes in that neighborhood. True that the older ones may have already had HVAC replaced etc. I just wonder how serious of a country club atmosphere is in there? I was told that it is a true country club and very formal atmosphere at most social events etc. We want a relaxed atmosphere with a friendly community. We don't golf so not sure if most of the folks our age in there are into that social scene.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
Ryan homes has a new development in downtown leesburg called crescent place. Mostly two to three level town homes with stairs. A new SFH in leesburg town limits is going to be tough. Your best bet would be to buy an old home and build a new one in its place.
Thanks for the tip! We checked it out. Great concept of being able to walk to downtown. Will definitely keep it in mind. The Knuston Companies elevator condos were very appealing although none are presently available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia