Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 09:48 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,763,794 times

Advertisements

Posting here as a followup to my ongoing thread on the DC subforum about where to paddle on the lower Potomac.

Sunday morning I finally tried putting in at this weird little spot in Arlandria. Given how hot it's been lately, I wanted to get a super-early start--and most of the NPS-owned areas (Gravelly Point, etc.) won't even let you into the parking lot till 6AM.

Four Mile Run is shallow (about a foot deep) but navigable at least a mile inland from where it empties into the Potomac. In Alexandria, where Commonwealth Avenue truncates in a derelict cul-de-sac near the Cora Kelly Community Center, there's a narrow and uneven but serviceable concrete ramp down to 4MR, just across from the water-treatment plant. Importantly, there is unrestricted parking on the street there, right next to the baseball field.

I put in at around 5:45. It worked fine, although there is a certain aroma in the air from the sewage plant. And no, I'm not grossed out by the water, because the water has been treated. The shoreline there is a bit rocky, but I've long stopped worrying about hull scratches.

That said, I realized that the Washington Sailing Marina (with its free concrete ramp and easy parking) is so nearby that there wasn't much point to leaving from this spot. And I discovered that where 4MR empties into the river by the airport, there's a ton of hydrilla in August. (Closer to the marina, the boats have kept it away.) In fact, most of the middle part of the river is choked with the stuff, almost all the way down to the Wilson Bridge.

Another reason I can't wait for the fall (my favorite season for boating).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia