Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 08:42 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,462,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnb072002 View Post
Looks like a move to VA for work in Dahlgren is on the table. Hubby and I are looking at homes in King George. I am having a hard time finding updated info about the area on this forum.
I don't think many people would consider Dahlgren / KG as "Northern Virginia", which is this forum. Not sure if there would be more info on the regular Virginia board, but you'll be hard pressed to find many threads concerning areas that far away.

OTOH, Winchester seems to come up more frequently than I would have guessed, and is geographically further from DC than Dahlgren, so what do I know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 10:18 AM

10 posts, read 13,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
We were stationed at Dahlgren in the mid 90s. Our kids were very young so weren't worried about schools (not sure if you have kids but they aren't great in KG county). We lived in the Presidential Lakes subdivision in King George (about 20 minutes from Dahlgren). It was and still is a really lovely subdivision -- very wooded, big lots, two lakes. Back then it meant we had to drive into Dahlgren or into Fredericksburg for groceries but since then they've built a Food Lion in King George. I believe Dahlgren now has a Walmart as well. It is definitely rural!
We are empty nesters....our kids are grown, so schools are not an issue. Presidential Lakes is an area where we've seen some houses we like. Having a shorter (and less stressful) commute is a factor. Hubby was out two weeks ago, stayed in Fredericksburg and went to meetings at Dahlgren, commuted and he said it was a nice commute. Nothing like the commute here in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdoor View Post
That's interesting -- my friend lives in Presidential Lakes, and works at Dahlgren. He loves that commute. There is a Food Lion in King George that they use when they have to, but there's a Wegmans in Fredericksburg where they do most of their grocery shopping. It is true that they don't necessarily love the school system -- but it seems like the kids still have plenty of activities to participate in; we've been down that way to watch their dance recitals, football games, and baseball games ...

Hubby talked to someone at Dahlgren who also lives in Presidential Lakes and loves it. I had already seen the area in my research and was checking out homes there when he told me this. Glad to hear additional good reports.

I'm trying to get an idea of what utilities, trash, cable, satellite TV, etc are for a 2,500sf house on average for summer and winter.

It's nice to have a grocery store or two nearby and glad to hear that KG has that. Where we live now, we have one very close--and a Walmart, but I have to drive 20 minutes to do other kinds of shopping at local malls and shopping centers, so that will not be an issue.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
I don't think many people would consider Dahlgren / KG as "Northern Virginia", which is this forum. Not sure if there would be more info on the regular Virginia board, but you'll be hard pressed to find many threads concerning areas that far away.

OTOH, Winchester seems to come up more frequently than I would have guessed, and is geographically further from DC than Dahlgren, so what do I know...
I agree, however, another poster suggested to someone asking about the area to post here as it was not getting any responses. Maybe the site needs to add a Fredericksburg/KG/Dahlgren tab, now that the area has developed? :-)

Old 08-12-2016, 11:23 AM

526 posts, read 902,537 times
If you don't have to factor schools into the equation and you like rural areas, you might very well love it there. I did think that living in King George was a nice compromise -- extremely easy commute into Dahlgren but only 30 minutes from "town" (Fredericksburg). We really enjoyed our time there. And Presidential Lakes is beautiful.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:28 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,092,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Are you a Hiller? Hee Hee

Sounds like you will moving to a quiet peaceful spot-Perfect!

Its very very green here- lots of thick tree canopy and vines sprouting everywhere-very lush

Plus the schools are SO MUCH Better!

Welcome!
Thick tree canopy, in busy Herndon, VA ??

Old 08-19-2016, 05:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,902,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

You are not from SoCal Like OP and I

They're insider knowledge/jokes

Old 08-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
You are not from SoCal Like OP and I

They're insider knowledge/jokes
Yep! Green and lush and canopy are not terms used to describe anything in my locale. :-)

Old 06-16-2018, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 826 times
Most like we are moving to VA from TX. My hubby will work in Dahlgren base. VA.
We have been in many locations, but seems this one to be one of the most difficult, because our oldest is getting into 1st grade and the baby is just 4 months.
I am worry about the schools, any recommendation?
Where would you live near the base in Dahlgren? Since we are moving from Houston we are really try to avoid long commute my hubby does an hour and half one way everyday, yes more or less 3 hours of his day in the car. Reason why he is really looking forward to live minutes from work.
What about the teeneger life there? Drugs in the schools and so? Activities for entertainment for kids and couples? Crime? Safety in general? please give any feedback you can consider necessary for this move.
First time in my life I am freaking out for a moving, even I have moved around 40 times and 10 countries, but the kids have changed a little bit my adventures mode.

Really appreciated any input which can help us to make smoother this move.

Thanks in advance to all.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:45 AM

250 posts, read 182,760 times
We moved to NOVA almost a year ago from San Diego (RB area). Love it here! And yes, every place is lush and green. Heck, it's lush even in the dead of winter.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM

20 posts, read 61,693 times
Hello! We live in King George and have been here about 8 years. We are in Hopyard Farms subdivision and it's about a 30 minute commute max to Dahlgren gate. We don't have young children, but the schools here aren't the worst and not the best. Most families seem to like Sealston Elementary because its newer. Check out Presidential Lakes subdivision and Hopyard. Lots of families with young children live here. I think the best thing about King George is people come here from everywhere to work on the base and because so much research goes on, there is a well educated workforce. Civilians well outnumber active duty military on base but its a good mix, in my opinion. For a small little town, we either have it here or it's within an hour drive to get to shopping, restaurants and entertainment. We're kind of between DC and Richmond, 60 miles north or south, so lots to do. I love the light traffic and easy commute to the base. Ryan homes are building and just broke ground on a big subdivision off Dahlgren Road (5 minutes from Gate A). For a naval support base, Dahlgren is beautiful with lots of trees. I'm happy to answer any other questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia