Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 06:17 PM

55 posts, read 62,637 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying an empty, never-been-built-on lot in Fairfax County (Great Falls). Would require a well and septic system from scratch.

Anybody have any idea what somebody should expect to pay?

For the well, I gather it would be drilling, casing, pipe, pump, piping to future house, and some electrical work. No idea how deep an average well is in Great Falls. Anybody done this recently and can give me a data point for total cost?

For the septic, future house would probably be 4 bedroom. Assuming typical soil conditions, anybody have any data points for what the entire system might cost?

Thanks for any info.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:42 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunsafe2015 View Post
Thinking about buying an empty, never-been-built-on lot in Fairfax County (Great Falls). Would require a well and septic system from scratch.

Anybody have any idea what somebody should expect to pay?

For the well, I gather it would be drilling, casing, pipe, pump, piping to future house, and some electrical work. No idea how deep an average well is in Great Falls. Anybody done this recently and can give me a data point for total cost?

For the septic, future house would probably be 4 bedroom. Assuming typical soil conditions, anybody have any data points for what the entire system might cost?

Thanks for any info.
I could be wrong, and maybe people here can give you lots of good estimates; but I would imagine costs might be specific to your specific lot.

Are you getting costs from a builder for the house? Can you not ask them for estimates?

Old 09-04-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I could be wrong, and maybe people here can give you lots of good estimates; but I would imagine costs might be specific to your specific lot.

Are you getting costs from a builder for the house? Can you not ask them for estimates?
I am considering buying a lot. No builder involved yet. Just trying to have some idea.

And yeah, I imagine it is very lot specific, but any data points help. I gather from what I can find online that both projects individually could be as low as $10k-ish or as high as $30k-ish, for a combined price of $20k-ish to $60k-ish. Mostly just curious if that is in the right ballpark. So individual data points from people who have done this in the past several years would be helpful.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:41 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Only piece of advice I can offer is to assume to higher cost....assume $60k for this line item.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,337 times
I can tell you a little bit about the septic.

If you haven't already, the first thing you need to do is get a perc test done to find out if you can even put a septic system on that lot. That will also tell what type of system you need, which will have a huge impact on the cost. I had to get a Puraflo alternative septic system installed 5 years ago (Fairfax County) which cost me over $25,000.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,969,392 times
I saw a nice lakefront cottage in Louisa County, recently, asking 35K. It needed a whole new septic with an estimated cost of 25-35K. The requirements on septic are ratcheting up all the time. Building on a ridge can save some of the costs, as opposed to various slopes on clay soil. Recently I know someone that did a 200 foot well for 2800$, but there is lots of regulation in that, too. He said he would rather be paying 75 per month for municipal water.
I've looked at land prices in Great Falls, and it's really not worth much...but it does seem to be headquarters for the pretentious. A house in an infill subdivision will be a lot easier to resell and will appreciate more, too. I would consider buying someone else's pink elephant in Clifton, at a deep discount...last time I checked, you would have thought they were all backed up to the Love Canal, there were so many long term for sale signs up.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the ballpark I was expecting. Any other data points would be appreciated if folks continue to read this thread!

Old 09-05-2016, 04:26 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
I don't know Great Falls all that well, but are the homes there not hooked to city water & sewer?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:41 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I was thinking the same - I didn't know there were wells used/required anywhere around here.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:46 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,387 times
The majority of Oakton uses well and septic. There are plenty of non-rural areas that still rely on these systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia