Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:16 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,417,496 times

Advertisements

Agreed with Ffxdata - I lived in Richmhomd briefly after graduating college and it's not a bad place at all. And it's really come into its own as a city bit having grown up in Northern Virginia, it was very different from what I was used to. They honestly are two pretty different areas.

I think you all will do well here. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 01:19 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,324,535 times
I have lived in Brambleton (in the Ashburn area) for 13 years. I don't know any lesbians here, married or single; I know a few gay men, but none with kids. Remember, Virginia hasn't had legal gay marriage or second-parent adoption for long. The unmarried gay couples I know live in Reston, Arlington, Alexandria; the gay married couples I know (with or without kids) live in Maryland or DC. That said, my neighborhood is pretty "purple" and most of the conservatives are fiscal conservatives/libertarians. Obama won our precincts in both 2008 and 2012; our precincts went for McAuliffe as governor in 2013.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,170 times
I think you should move with your wife.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:53 AM

3,263 posts, read 2,363,289 times
Why not move to western Loudoun county which is very rural and housing is cheaper? Depending on where you are working in Ashburn the commute would be about 30 minutes. Or even Clarke county which is even more rural, much lower priced homes, and MUCH lower real estate taxes. Many people working in Ashburn also commute from West Virginia, again, cheaper and lower taxes. Loudoun county has very high real estate taxes.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:40 AM

70 posts, read 84,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Why not move to western Loudoun county which is very rural and housing is cheaper? Depending on where you are working in Ashburn the commute would be about 30 minutes. Or even Clarke county which is even more rural, much lower priced homes, and MUCH lower real estate taxes. Many people working in Ashburn also commute from West Virginia, again, cheaper and lower taxes. Loudoun county has very high real estate taxes.
Do you really think a lesbian couple with a child will be welcomed in those communities? They certainly wouldn't be on my list, and some things matter more than the price of your house or taxes.

I'd say Leesburg if someone wants to live in Loudoun, and while there is a pocket of progressives there, even then I'd not be so sure. Surrounding that enclave of progressives are voters who support Dick Black (even though he wins with low turnout).

If you can afford it, I'd look towards Reston. Far more likely to have progressive neighbors.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:37 AM

Location: Teams in 2 locations: Jacksonville, FL & Aldie/Chantilly VA.
63 posts, read 224,888 times
What extra activities do you like to do? What would you enoy being near? Ashburn is a great area with good schools! Even Just South in Aldie and chantilly too. There is lots of building going on! Many town homes for rent, so you should not have a problem,I can send you a list if you need me to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia