Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 06:33 PM

313 posts, read 552,805 times

Advertisements

Are you deadset on going west of Dulles? I just went to Redfin, put in your parameters, and found quite a few single family homes in the Sterling area for under 450k. Admittedly, I don't know much about the schools in this area, but it seems like from a cursory glance you can get everything you want otherwise. Did somebody tell you to avoid Sterling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 07:24 PM

59 posts, read 53,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
Are you deadset on going west of Dulles? I just went to Redfin, put in your parameters, and found quite a few single family homes in the Sterling area for under 450k. Admittedly, I don't know much about the schools in this area, but it seems like from a cursory glance you can get everything you want otherwise. Did somebody tell you to avoid Sterling?
Yep. Not recommended per people I know there.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:34 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,293,813 times
I would say just because you are in a subdivision doesn't meant that you will have people walking around. Some of the communities out west are bedroom communities which are essentially deserted during the day. I know many stay at home parents who end up traveling much closer in (Centreville, Fairfax, even Springfield) to socialize because they are so isolated in their Haymarket or Leesburg communities.

I live in a very friendly townhouse community and we are moving to a moderately friendly SF street. You can't really tell that stuff until you are cruising around at different times and knocking on doors.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I would say just because you are in a subdivision doesn't meant that you will have people walking around. Some of the communities out west are bedroom communities which are essentially deserted during the day. I know many stay at home parents who end up traveling much closer in (Centreville, Fairfax, even Springfield) to socialize because they are so isolated in their Haymarket or Leesburg communities.

I live in a very friendly townhouse community and we are moving to a moderately friendly SF street. You can't really tell that stuff until you are cruising around at different times and knocking on doors.
I am seeing that, and then its a double whammy, because you are on one income AND moving to higher COL. (moving to Centreville, Springfield, Fairfax, etc)

Thanks again!

Old 09-22-2016, 10:46 AM

540 posts, read 792,496 times
I moved here from the Midwest also, and given your constraints I would drop the garage from your searches and see if that helps. The climate around here doesn't require one (not that much snow, hail is not a problem). Adding a shed for your extras might be a lot cheaper.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:42 PM

15,448 posts, read 25,889,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpe290 View Post
Yep. Not recommended per people I know there.
Everytime I drive through Sterling, which is often, I can't understand why. It seems like a nice area.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:06 PM

70 posts, read 84,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpe290 View Post
I am seeing that, and then its a double whammy, because you are on one income AND moving to higher COL. (moving to Centreville, Springfield, Fairfax, etc)

Thanks again!
I live in Loudoun and in shopping Prince William, it seems there are plenty of stay at home Moms who socialize amongst themselves. I'd imagine the pressure for both parents to work would be much higher in areas with $6-700k homes.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:26 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,473,729 times
Lots of sahm in Purcellville. Check Kingsbridge/villages of Purcellville. You can find smaller models with unfinished basements in that price range.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I moved here from the Midwest also, and given your constraints I would drop the garage from your searches and see if that helps. The climate around here doesn't require one (not that much snow, hail is not a problem). Adding a shed for your extras might be a lot cheaper.
Thanks, not opposed to that, but figured HOA's/covenants would never allow detached sheds! LOL

Funny, in a different thread, I asked about if people used their yards, the answer I got was "the weather is not good for being outside most of the year" --different perspectives for different folks I guess.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:51 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,293,813 times
I almost responded to the poster in the other thread because I thought he was totally incorrect. The weather here is lovely most of the time. I go hiking every week rain, shine, or snow. The spring and summer months are a real delight but there can be fun had outside in summer and winter as well. This ain't California, but it's really as nice as you can get while still having 4 seasons. Everyone I know uses their front or back yard and we have tiny little townhouse yards too. I would say that almost every city or county and most HOAs allow rather large sheds since garages are so rare. Our HOA has original sheds and also allows anything not above the fence line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia