Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 04:32 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
Look at a map, they aren't really that far apart. Plenty of people make much larger commutes. Once Met a guy who commuted from Manassas to Baltimore.
You're right; it's not that far compared with other highways like 66. But I like that one section of this traffic-choked ocean of development--Northern Montgomery--has been set aside. Extending 200 through it would inevitably lead to development nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 05:41 AM

70 posts, read 84,741 times
Doesn't seem to deter the many Maryland commuters that already clog Leesburg area roads during the AM and PM commutes. I'd be happy with less.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
Doesn't seem to deter the many Maryland commuters that already clog Leesburg area roads during the AM and PM commutes. I'd be happy with less.
We should build a moat between Virginia and Maryland.

Oh, wait...

Old 09-29-2016, 11:28 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
Look at a map, they aren't really that far apart. Plenty of people make much larger commutes. Once Met a guy who commuted from Manassas to Baltimore.
They are that far apart. There is a river between them. If you can fly like a bird then they aren't that far apart. That said, I support a bridge to connect the ICC to Rt. 28, not Leesburg. Leesburg isn't that far away from there though.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:29 PM

16,445 posts, read 12,620,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
They are that far apart. There is a river between them. If you can fly like a bird then they aren't that far apart. That said, I support a bridge to connect the ICC to Rt. 28, not Leesburg. Leesburg isn't that far away from there though.
Exactly. I sometimes commute from Sterling (Algonkian Pkwy) to Gaithersburg. 'As the crow flies,' they're just about 10 miles apart. But the commute frequently takes me about an hour in the morning, and more than that in the evening. The ferry isn't a feasible option ... just the drive time to the ferry and then to Gaithersburg is longer than the 495 route, not accounting for actual ferry time.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:39 PM

147 posts, read 351,513 times
Drones that carry a passenger will soon make bridges obsolete.
Just kidding... ?

Old 09-29-2016, 05:06 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,044,329 times
If you choose to live in Leesburg, you have effectively ruled out working in a long list of places. Atlanta is on the list. Topeka is on the list. So is Montgomery County. If you want to work in any of those places, you will first need to move to a place other than Leesburg.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:18 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,704,135 times
I don't blame the western Montgomery folks a bit. All they have to do is look across the river at Loudoun and Fairfax to see what unrestrained growth does.

And they should allow their quality of life be destroyed so a bunch of commuters, most of whom will be gone in a few years, can get to work quicker? Hell no!

Old 09-30-2016, 06:34 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Wink Never say never

Don't know how it occured but eventually after decades of lawsuits, Louisville and the states of Kentucky and Indiana finally gained approval to start their East end bridge to form the outer Beltway. Now they have portions that had to go underground and "pops" out right the start of the bridge. This was done to protect the million dollar homes that protested. Million dollar homes convert to 5 million dollar homes here.

The build had to agree to noise barriers the whole way and absolutely no exits were allowed so there is at least five miles without any exits.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:58 PM

I don't think government should be in the business of enabling people to live farther and farther from their jobs. If they want to do that, why should taxpayers foot the bill for it? Why should people living in small towns and on farms endure another superhighway in their backyards? We've already done this with I-66.

Extending highways and transit to the outer reaches also contributes to the emergence of megacities at the expense of small cities and towns, in that all the jobs agglutinate in the largest cities, so that they also draw more population while the small cities and towns wither or stagnate.

So what we need is less consolidation of corporations and government and more branch offices--BRAC in reverse, if you will.

If that were to happen, then Leesburg might have a branch of a large corporation or of the federal government, instead of people living there and driving to DC, Tysons, or the Pentagon, etc.

But that would require central planning by a powerful federal government--a la Germany. So it won't happen. Sad to say it, but that highway extension probably will, eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia