Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,348 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to come and work in Chantilly, VA.

We are a french family with a 10 yo kid who will get to junior highschool.
Thing is that as it we be a 2+2 years assignment before going back to France, it seems that Lycée Rochambeau will be the only alternative. Hence, working in Chantilly but having to leave not to far from Bethesda, what would be a nice place to leave in in order to commute easily.
I read that there seems to be a french corner in some cities but first this is not what we are looking and second we won't make enough money to live over there.

Do you think that it is better to rent from places like apartments community as woodmont park in Rockville or renting a place to a regular person ?

Thanks for any tips or piece of advice.

Stephane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 12:38 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times
What is your budget for housing; and what type of housing do you want?

Old 10-08-2016, 05:07 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,712,296 times
There is no easy commute from Bethesda to Chantilly.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:47 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,469 times
Perhaps check with the school. Often there are groups that carpool or more formalized buses from various areas. That way you may only have to drive to the drop off point, not all the way to Bethesda.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:58 AM

1,109 posts, read 903,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srobinot View Post
Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to come and work in Chantilly, VA.

We are a french family with a 10 yo kid who will get to junior highschool.
Thing is that as it we be a 2+2 years assignment before going back to France, it seems that Lycée Rochambeau will be the only alternative. Hence, working in Chantilly but having to leave not to far from Bethesda, what would be a nice place to leave in in order to commute easily.
I read that there seems to be a french corner in some cities but first this is not what we are looking and second we won't make enough money to live over there.

Do you think that it is better to rent from places like apartments community as woodmont park in Rockville or renting a place to a regular person ?

Thanks for any tips or piece of advice.

Stephane
What about Reston? (I am stealing JFromRestons's thunder here) it is a planned community that has a lot to offer. JFromReston can answer specific questions about it.

Rental Listings in Reston VA - 189 Rentals | Zillow

https://hotpads.com/reston-va/apartments-for-rent

Here are some images of Reston

https://www.google.com/search?q&tbm=...cQ9C8ICQ&dpr=1

P.S. Not too many French Corners in the U.S. If you get a chance, Montreal, Canada is a must visit, it will cure any homesickness....https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

Bon Chance!

Old 10-10-2016, 06:00 AM

9,784 posts, read 15,857,160 times
Hi,

Another possible option for you might be to live in the Kent Gardens Elementary School area in McLean, Virginia. Kent Gardens is a free, public elementary school the Fairfax County School District. Kent Gardens has a partial immersion program in French. The program starts in first grade, and they typically like half of the students in the program to be native French speakers and half non-French speakers. It is a lottery to get in for the younger grades, but they might be more flexible for native French speakers. It might be worth giving them a call and asking them about the program and if your child would be eligible. Herndon Elementary in Herndon, VA also in Fairfax County also has (or had?) a French immersion program. They may be phasing it out, but I believe it's still around for the upper grades, so it might be worth calling them, too. After elementary school, kids in French immersion in Kent Gardens go to Longfellow Middle School (junior high) and kids in Herndon Elementary go to Herndon Middle School. Bonne chance!

Kent Gardens Elementary

http://www2.fcps.edu/HerndonES/acade...sion_info.html

https://www.fcps.edu/academics/world...rsion-programs

Old 10-11-2016, 10:13 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,265,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
What about Reston? (I am stealing JFromRestons's thunder here) it is a planned community that has a lot to offer. JFromReston can answer specific questions about it.
Reston would be a good option to split the difference between Chantilly and Bethesda. Let me know your price range and I'll suggest a few options. Also, let me know if you have any specific questions about Reston.

You may also want to consider the Washington International School's french program. I have a co-worker who is a native french speaker who sends his daughter to this school.
http://www.wis.edu/

Old 10-11-2016, 12:25 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,515,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
There is no easy commute from Bethesda to Chantilly.
I agree, this is not a commute I would wish on my enemies. You should rethink this.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 2,348 times
wow,

thanks a lot for all those good advices.
Good (or bad) to read that bethesda - Chantilly isn't easy.

So far my budget would be around 2000$ (really don't know how life will be so I'll for 1/3 of my salary).
Do you think it is too few for house or apartment with three bedrooms ?

@ JfromReston : thanks for the tip, I'll go and have a look at those places. Might be a little too far from Lycée Rochambeau. Looks like a nice city anyway. Could you ask your collegue the age of his kid. Mine will be 11 and should start junior high school (never easy indeed).

Thanks to all.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:42 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,265,657 times
Here are a few options in Reston for you to consider.

11052 GRANBY CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9763326 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11013 BARTON HILL CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9745550 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2076 WHISPERWOOD GLEN LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9777123 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2004 GOLF COURSE DR N, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9659558 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11600 WINDBLUFF CT #8A2, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9765359 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11562 IVY BUSH CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9784418 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

My colleagues daughter is 9 years old and has been at WIS since kindergarten. They are committed to the program and she will attend through high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia