Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,344,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckz View Post
Are there bathrooms on every car or just a few of them? Also are you allowed to walk between cars? Thanks
There's not a bathroom on every car, but it has at least 2 bathrooms , which are on either end of the train. Look for the blue sticker on the side of the train telling you if it has a bathroom or not. Yes, you are permitted to walk between cars regardless of moving or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:36 PM

13 posts, read 38,060 times
Is there a reason why VRE is more expensive than MARC? I don't need to ride it just wondering as I used to ride the MARC line to DC but I live in VA now.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:38 PM

428 posts, read 1,117,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Don't be nervous..lots of people ride with babies and toddlers. The conductors are very friendly, and they will help you load your stuff into the train.

There's no preference where to sit for families, but you probably want to be in a car that has a bathroom. You will find the VRE is surprisingly family friendly. Most likely even fellow riders will help you board the train!

Believe me, you will have an enjoyable experience ..... minus the baby :c rying:
Wow, thanks! I'd just assumed it was pretty much grownups only. I believe we'll have to give it a shot one of these first days! And hopefully the little one's current fascination with choo-choos will be enough to hold his attention for a while...

Old 07-20-2009, 02:50 PM

125 posts, read 404,831 times
We are going to be moving and right now are focusing in on the fairfax station/South Run area. My husband will be taking the VRE. I timed my ride last week and it was 10 min-not in traffic- to the Rolling Ridge Station. Does it get too crowded and close? I hadn't thought about that. Should he consider taking the Burke Ctr. station instead?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplej68 View Post
Is there a reason why VRE is more expensive than MARC? I don't need to ride it just wondering as I used to ride the MARC line to DC but I live in VA now.
What do you mean more expensive? Have you calculated the $/mile compairison? I cant figure out the MARC schedule and prices haha. I am tell you the fares are heavily subsidized from state and federal funding, but I forgot the breakdown. The other thing is when fuel prices spiked last year, VRE was borrowing funds from the following fiscal year to pay for the diesel.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoboat View Post
We are going to be moving and right now are focusing in on the fairfax station/South Run area. My husband will be taking the VRE. I timed my ride last week and it was 10 min-not in traffic- to the Rolling Ridge Station. Does it get too crowded and close? I hadn't thought about that. Should he consider taking the Burke Ctr. station instead?
Oh you meant the Rolling Road station? The station parking lots don't close like the metro does, but people are parking on the streets next to the station.

He should park at Burke because they just opened a new parking garage about a year ago, and when I pass by it's not full. Plus the platform leads you right into the garage, which is nice in the winter.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 AM

8,275 posts, read 13,450,579 times
Quote:
What do you mean more expensive? Have you calculated the $/mile compairison? I cant figure out the MARC schedule and prices haha. I am tell you the fares are heavily subsidized from state and federal funding, but I forgot the breakdown. The other thing is when fuel prices spiked last year, VRE was borrowing funds from the following fiscal year to pay for the diesel.

I believe that is correct.. MARC is funded by the State and Fed.. I thought VRE was more, for lack of a better, a "transit authority" that is funded by member governments??

MARC is also infamous for the "MARC MELTDOWN" that occurs because of aging equipment.. though things are getting better since we have ordered new locomotives (ahem... though they are still being "safety tested" and behind schedule on delivery) and purchased VREs old cars

Any idea how many people ride through DC from VA to work in MD? I thought that there was a policy in place where you could use your VRE pass on a MARC train that was traveling north of DC for a comparable distance and visa versa.. though I am certain the numbers are very low....

Old 07-21-2009, 08:55 AM

8,275 posts, read 13,450,579 times
Quote:
Oh yea, commuting on the VRE or MARC definitely has its cast of characters. We have a few working professionals who get on the train drunk, but nothing beats the MARC reputation of "MARC Train 534 BarCar" . I heard they have Margarita mixers plugged into the 110v power, and get their booze from Union Station
Oh yeah.. and on the Camden line.. which runs to Camden Yards... you want to avoid it when either the yanks or the red sox come to town. I have not been on it during that time period in awhile.. but recall many rowdy fans (obviously yank or sox fans.. i dont believe any Orioles fans exist south of Columbia, MD) get on drunk and have to be threatend to no avail by the conductor to keep quiet or they have to get off at the next stop. Shouts and jeers increase as the train pulls into Camden since the threat of being "put off at the next stop" becomes irrelavent... Everyone then turns into angels as they file off the train in front of the army of MTA police that are usually stationed on the platform and who listen inquisitively to the beleagured conductor as he tell his tale of the woeful trip....

Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM

95 posts, read 422,230 times
VRE is great and that's one of the reason I moved to Bristow. I commute from Broad Run to Alexandria and the only complaint I have is, it is so sloooow....

I feel VRE is slower than metro. I think they clock around 35-40 mph.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrame View Post
VRE is great and that's one of the reason I moved to Bristow. I commute from Broad Run to Alexandria and the only complaint I have is, it is so sloooow....

I feel VRE is slower than metro. I think they clock around 35-40 mph.
Yea it accellerates slower, but top speeds are about the same, they said online that passenger trains can go up to 65 mph, and freight at 55mph. Or was it 75/65, I forgot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia