Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 04:49 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,270,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
True but my point was more along the line that trusting products like OC may not always be a good idea. A dog in high drive will let little bother him during his attack. I once saw 2 mix breeds turn on one of their own at a call a few of us were at in the middle of the night. They were truly in the process of killing the 3rd. We were striking, yelling, pulling and everything we had and it took forever to free the 3rd dog. OC wasn't around at the time. These 2 dogs just had it in their minds that they were going to kill the 3rd one and no amount of pain from any human was going to stop them.

Bottom line though I really wish the guy had not shot the dog. I believe he over-reacted although we'll likely never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 04:28 PM

191 posts, read 288,493 times
Quote:
True but my point was more along the line that trusting products like OC may not always be a good idea. A dog in high drive will let little bother him during his attack. I once saw 2 mix breeds turn on one of their own at a call a few of us were at in the middle of the night. They were truly in the process of killing the 3rd. We were striking, yelling, pulling and everything we had and it took forever to free the 3rd dog. OC wasn't around at the time. These 2 dogs just had it in their minds that they were going to kill the 3rd one and no amount of pain from any human was going to stop them.
Exactly, Human OC is not good enough. Bear spray is whats needed.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,268,829 times
Quote:
I have yet to read the article but will find it shortly. But as a 30 plus year dog trainer there is likely no more of a dog lover on here than myself. But there is not a breed out here that cannot inflict serious damage on a grown man. Obviously the bigger the dog the higher the chance of a more serious bite but that is not always the case. I've seen police officers have to retire due to dog bites that seriously injured them. I know one who was bit in the testicles. Guess what he lost? I know we hear the cases often of LEO's shooting dogs, needlessly I might add, in the eyes of some. Way too often though police officers do whatever they can to avoid shooting someone's dog and they often pay the consequences. But some people are just flat out afraid of dogs and the damage they can do. I've had stitches in most of my limbs from dog training and would never shoot one unless I just knew it was me or the dog. But I have met some LE K9's over the years that I knew if they ever got loose and came after me I was pretty much going to bend over and kiss it goodbye.
I'm hoping the shooter of this dog was truly afraid and not some hotshot just wanting to shoot a dog but the fact remains that the officials believed he was within his right to shoot. I don't like what happened but the owner plays a huge role apparently in what happened.
She is the sole reason this happened.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Let me say I wouldn't blame the shooter if the dog was really aggressive. And I'm sure that somewhere out there, there is an aggressive Lab.

But come on. How many of us have ever actually run into a scary Lab? As a breed, Labs are about as friendly as they get. I think the *likelihood* is that the dog was running around in that hyper, goofy way Labs do, and this guy flipped out and shot. I'd love to hear the dog was actually growling and snapping at him, because I wouldn't feel sad about this. But I just think that's not likely the case.

Besides, ever heard of pepper spray? Even bear spray? They make a spray to use for repelling angry bears! And this guy uses a bullet on a Lab.

May the ghost of the dog haunt his dreams.
There were two aggressive dogs. The man shot one.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:48 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,408,238 times
A dog can turn aggressive in a second. I was walking my puppy many years ago on a leash. A Husky was loose--later found out it escaped its fenced yard. He came up friendly to my puppy, sniffed, then suddenly grabbed her throat and was swaying her back and forth in a neck hold.

A week later the same dog got out and got a hold of a small dog--end of small dog. SPCA got involved and the Husky was put down. (That was actually the Husky's third attack.)

Put your dog on a leash.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:32 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,270,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Exactly, Human OC is not good enough. Bear spray is whats needed.
You need to research Bear spray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia