Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:57 PM

13,392 posts, read 27,230,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream41180 View Post
Can someone explain DC preschool lottery system? Does everyone get a spot but not necessarily where they want to attend? Ward 3 seems to be best area for families and schools, but I that's just on web searches.
The website is here. http://dcps.dc.gov/page/pre-kindergarten-pk3-and-pk4

The nature of a lottery is that there are more applicants than places, so not everyone is guaranteed a spot. The Ward 3 schools like Stoddard, Key, Eaton, Hurst, Janey, Murch or Horace Mann are not include on the list of Title 1 schools. I do not think you would be happy with the schools in other parts of DC. Note Title 1 means that there is a high percentage of low-income families in the school. In addition, if you won the lottery you would have to drive your child to the school in another part of the District. You might look into schools in Capitol Hill which are Title 1, and live nearby. Then you could easily be dropped at the Navy Yard. Please ask for specifics at the District of Columbia fourm.

I lived in Glover Park, but without children. Personally, I would bite the bullet and pay for private pre-school or day-care for your 4-year-old rather than use the DC schools lottery system.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-01-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 07:02 PM

If you are willing to send your child to Title 1 District schools, you should understand that the students will be prinmarily African-American or Hispanic and poor. Van Ness Elementary is right next to the Navy Yard, and might be worth applying to.
I would totally avoid most schools in Southeast (except for near Capitol Hill). A few schools in Northeast might be acceptable: Noyes near Catholic University, Bunker Hill, Browne, Miner or Langdon (somewhat near Capitol Hill).

Old 11-01-2016, 09:59 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,469 times
You may also find D.C. Urban Moms forums helpful for these school-specific questions. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 AM

3,109 posts, read 3,000,041 times
My dad commuted to the Navy Yard from 22152, and got on the HOV lanes before the restriction started...6 or 630, and it took him only 25 minutes to get to his desk. He parked outside the gate, allowing for a quick exit, but I recall him asking me about some nightclub called Tracks..that I had never been to, but the people coming out as he was arriving to work made an impression on him, but he never had any issues parking the old Corolla outside the gate. That aspect may have changed. As Christine said, everything is expensive in NoVa, and things like A/C repair and Dental work are worse than prison economics.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
He parked outside the gate, allowing for a quick exit, but I recall him asking me about some nightclub called Tracks..that I had never been to, but the people coming out as he was arriving to work made an impression on him, but he never had any issues parking the old Corolla outside the gate. That aspect may have changed.
I also worked at the Navy Yard in the early 1990's and I parked outside the gates a few blocks away. I never had problems, although there were guys sitting outside on the steps. Those blocks are all redeveloped with higher-end places now that the Metro and ballpark were built.

BTW, I had also heard of Tracks as a gay nightclub, but it closed several years ago.

I also mentioned Amidon-Bowen Elementary as a school near there that may be worth applying to. It gets good parent reviews on Greatschools, although the ratings are low.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream41180 View Post
Can someone explain DC preschool lottery system? Does everyone get a spot but not necessarily where they want to attend? Ward 3 seems to be best area for families and schools, but I that's just on web searches.
Have you seen the FAQ's here? My School DC | Learn • Apply • Enroll

The won't guarantee that everyone gets a spot in the preschool programs because there is not a "right" to attend preschool. However, there is a second chance round.

You probably know by now that Ward 3 is the rich part of town and none of the schools have Title I preschool. I liked Glover Park, but there is no Metro service.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:27 PM

50 posts, read 53,540 times
goldenage1...can you tell me about the Potomac Yard and Del Ray areas?

Old 01-07-2018, 06:58 PM

13 posts, read 12,545 times
Dream41180

Can you share what you decided? I'm relocating with my husband and 5 year old and also will be working in Navy Yard. Where did you end up living? How did it work out with preschool/child care?

I'm exploring Arlington and Alexandria but can't tell what would be a quicker commute. Arlington looks faster, but from the comments here it sounds like Alexandria would be a better commute.

Would you be willing to share your experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia