Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 04:03 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
There are have been several recent threads about whether Winchester is "hipster" or liberal. That's where it's coming from.
I guarantee the vast majority of Winchester is not liberal. It certainly has its fair share in the downtown area which is changing every year. But leave this area and you won't find too many liberals. Not saying it's a bad or good thing but just the way it is.I'm not just talking Winchester proper but all of the area considered Winchester. I believe that 2008 and 2012 were the first time this area turned blue in the presidential races so there are certainly some changes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:36 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,187 times
The biggest change in Winchester I have found over the years was actually in their radio scene. Back in 1994 for example we had "Scott the Producer" on 104.9/105.5 WAPP. Scott was an openly gay man however the public seemed to had an issue with that. "GET HIM OFF THE AIR !!" and "THINK OF THE CHILDREN !!" I still can remember seeing in the Winchester Star at the time and unfortunately Scott I believe was let go from WAPP. Today in 2016 almost 2017 Winchester has Chris Mitchell on Q102. Chris like Scott is an openly gay man however today nobody cares as Q102 is the number one station in the market and Chris and his on air partner Rosie has the number one morning show in the area. Maybe there are quite a few conservatives in the area who may not warm up to the idea of gay rights but they won't go down the "..we need to write letters to the Star" route to get someone fired for being gay as they may had done years ago either.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,855 times
Winchester is not particularly racist. I grew up here and am back living here again. There are many interracial couples here, a sizable black population, and a good many other races as well. You would be absolutely fine to move here! There are so many people moving here from other places as well. Nearly all the people I meet did not grow up here, which is actually pretty strange for me!

Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,855 times
Not to mention that they just elected a black mayor!

Old 02-05-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarnd View Post
Not to mention that they just elected a black mayor!

J/K. I didn't know this.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 AM

210 posts, read 416,726 times
I went to a beer festival in Winchester this past Saturday. The crowd wouldn't have looked out of place in Leesburg, Reston, etc.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:59 AM

91 posts, read 129,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
I went to a beer festival in Winchester this past Saturday. The crowd wouldn't have looked out of place in Leesburg, Reston, etc.

I was there as well- that beer festival is always a good time. Not sure if your comment was a compliment or not though!

Old 06-13-2017, 01:34 PM

210 posts, read 416,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobamike View Post
I was there as well- that beer festival is always a good time. Not sure if your comment was a compliment or not though!
haha totally complimentary!

Old 06-13-2017, 03:14 PM

Go to Apple Blossom and tell me what you think of the crowd. Plenty of country folk and lots of republicans. But still. Winchester is not a liberal town.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 5,360 times
Smile Son Moving From Southern CA

Hello, everyone. I am fairly new to this board. We grew up in Pittsburgh, lived in CA for 37 years and recently relocated to western MD. Our son (32) will be relocating to the area from Burbank, CA; he thinks VA looks just swell. Is Winchester good for a young single man? He has worked blue collar (lumberyard, warehouse) and was recently promoted from the warehouse to the office as receptionist, so he is getting good clerical skills. How are rentals in the area? And, just between you and me, is it a good place for him to find my future daughter-in-law? Any information would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia