Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 11:40 AM

152 posts, read 99,274 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to move down to the NoVA/MD area within a year or so and would ultimately like to be a teacher. Looking at the salary scales in the area, it looks like a first year teacher makes ~50K around here, about the same as in MA and with a similar COL. With a target of no more than 1/3 of my income going to rent, that's about $1300-1400/month. Ideally I'd like to spend a bit less than that, but I've already decided to forgo wasteful cable when I'm on my own so that saves a decent chunk of money (and I could always tutor or teach guitar if I need extra $$$). Being somewhat familiar with the general area (UMD '16), I'd be wary of anything less than $900.

I have been looking at certain towns, I just want input from locals. MD is fair game too, I might even prefer it for proximity to friends and relatives but I know NoVA has a stronger job market. I'm not terribly worried about commute, teachers tend to go to and leave work earlier than most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 01:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
You should be worried about commute; as our rush "hour" is typically from 6am-11:30 am and from 3 pm - 7 pm. It's long and congested for a long amount of time.

I think your best bet to to find a job, and get an apartment reasonably close by in a roommate situation. Your $ will go a lot further.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:10 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
Agree with spencgr. Have you considered a roommate? Or a shared house situation? That opens up a lot more options. Even if you do it for just two years or so. I lived in a big house in DC with two roommates (yes...years ago). It was great, though I'm older and wouldn't do it now.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
I'll agree with the above posters. Traffic is the pits and lots of commuters go in early (my husband leaves about 6:10). It doesn't seem like traffic ever abates around here. Get a job first then figure out a reasonable commute.

My daughter did the roommate thing in a shared house when she first started working in NoVa. She used Craigslist and just checked it carefully. There were four girls and her portion was about $900. She was making slightly more than $50k and it left a lot for savings and disposable income. It was also a nice way to meet some people and explore the areas where you want to eventually relocate.

Best of luck.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You should be worried about commute; as our rush "hour" is typically from 6am-11:30 am and from 3 pm - 7 pm. It's long and congested for a long amount of time.
My Special Ed teacher lives in Oakton and works in Falls Church neighborhood just east of Merrifield.

She has school at 8 am but always leaves at 7am because the traffic is so unpredictable. Some days shes at work in less than 20 mins, some days its the whole hour.

Welcome to Nova traffic!

Old 12-21-2016, 04:45 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Would you consider living and working further out? Say someplace like Winchester? COL is a little less and traffic is much better compared to NOVA.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
I'm trying to move down to the NoVA/MD area within a year or so and would ultimately like to be a teacher. Looking at the salary scales in the area, it looks like a first year teacher makes ~50K around here, about the same as in MA and with a similar COL. With a target of no more than 1/3 of my income going to rent, that's about $1300-1400/month. Ideally I'd like to spend a bit less than that, but I've already decided to forgo wasteful cable when I'm on my own so that saves a decent chunk of money (and I could always tutor or teach guitar if I need extra $$$). Being somewhat familiar with the general area (UMD '16), I'd be wary of anything less than $900.

I have been looking at certain towns, I just want input from locals. MD is fair game too, I might even prefer it for proximity to friends and relatives but I know NoVA has a stronger job market. I'm not terribly worried about commute, teachers tend to go to and leave work earlier than most people.
I am very impressed with Frederick, MD. It has a college, parks, a small town vibe,and an up and coming food scene. It is about an hour away from DC, and housing costs are more reasonable than DC or NOVA.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Maryland.html

Old 12-23-2016, 11:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
I lived in Lansdowne and my child went to a great school. The teachers lived in West Virginia. MUCH less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: