Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times

Advertisements

Fredericksburg is a sleepy, historic town that I would not recommend for ANY single, let alone a 20-something. It's growing but it's several years away from being a "hot-spot". Based on what you've described, Richmond would be a much better fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 06:48 PM

298 posts, read 565,493 times
We just moved to Fredericksburg. I've lived in Portland, Seattle, Boise, etc., and this area seems very "Tea Party" to me, and not young, liberal, or vibrant. Downtown Fredericksburg is cute and cool, but I'm not a big fan of Spotsy so far... It
s mostly strip malls and suburbs.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:33 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If I found a place and job in the Fredericksburg area, I don't think the traffic would necessarily bother me. I would just be happy residing in VA. At the same time, of course I know the traffic is bad up there (especially I-95) although I know it's worse closer to D.C. Still, hearing how Fredericksburg isn't a good area for young professionals is a bit more concerning. I thought the downtown district would've been more vibrant considering how the area has been growing.

I haven't ruled out looking more into the Richmond area, although I know it'll be (at most) two years or so before I relocate to VA. Still, would Fredericksburg be better (in general) due to being located closer to NOVA? Or would Richmond be much better in my case? Again, I want an area that is more liberal and not religious, vibrant, decent amount of young professionals, etc.
Sounds to me like you shouldn't rule out NoVA.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:33 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Perhaps you're right. I'm just worried the area will be too expensive for a young high school teacher, although it helps that I won't be looking into buying a house or anything. At least not for a few more years.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:25 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

Why? I have plenty of friends in the Fredericksburg area who are not religious. I always have to laugh at comments about not wanting to be around religious people. My wife and I attend church on a regular basis and I'll wager not a single neighbor I talk to or colleagues at work would know this. Why? Because very few "religious" folks preach or try and convert anyone they see daily. Fredericksburg may be more conservative, which does not necessarily mean religious, compared to areas in NOVA but to rule out an area because of this is just plain idiotic.

OP. I'd suggest you look at Traffic on WTOP or Googlemaps daily and see what everyone is talking about when it comes to traffic. 66 can be and is bad but it certainly has many more times where it's not socked in all Red for heavy traffic compared to 95. Weekends can be miserable 7 days a week on 95. My daughters best friend wanted to move with her family to Fredericksburg and her husband works in Woodbridge. They were in Manassas for years. I suggested he go to Fredericksburg one weekday and drive to Woodbridge in rush hour. That night they started looking elsewhere as the one day was enough for him. They now live in Amisville on 5 acres and can get to Woodbridge in about the same amount of time as if he were in Fredericksburg. The time now comes from the distance but he knows that at least he's moving.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:33 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Why? I have plenty of friends in the Fredericksburg area who are not religious. I always have to laugh at comments about not wanting to be around religious people. My wife and I attend church on a regular basis and I'll wager not a single neighbor I talk to or colleagues at work would know this. Why? Because very few "religious" folks preach or try and convert anyone they see daily. Fredericksburg may be more conservative, which does not necessarily mean religious, compared to areas in NOVA but to rule out an area because of this is just plain idiotic.

OP. I'd suggest you look at Traffic on WTOP or Googlemaps daily and see what everyone is talking about when it comes to traffic. 66 can be and is bad but it certainly has many more times where it's not socked in all Red for heavy traffic compared to 95. Weekends can be miserable 7 days a week on 95. My daughters best friend wanted to move with her family to Fredericksburg and her husband works in Woodbridge. They were in Manassas for years. I suggested he go to Fredericksburg one weekday and drive to Woodbridge in rush hour. That night they started looking elsewhere as the one day was enough for him. They now live in Amisville on 5 acres and can get to Woodbridge in about the same amount of time as if he were in Fredericksburg. The time now comes from the distance but he knows that at least he's moving.
I was just going on what the OP stated and said perhaps he shouldn't rule out NoVA (i.e. Fairfax).

I didn't say rule out Fredericksburg.

As I stated earlier I would definitely not recommend commuting north in 95 and one can work in Fairfax and not have to deal with traffic.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:52 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
If y'all had a choice between Fredericksburg and Richmond, which city would you pick? I guess I want to know if Fredericksburg has some sort of edge over Richmond due to being located closer to D.C.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:21 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
I'd live in neither. If you can, I'd go further north.

That will also help if you decide to work in another district. All of the districts in NoVa compete to attract the best talent, that doesn't include Fredericksburg because their salaries are significantly lower. You mentioned Fairfax County, I'd look there, it'll put you in a much more flexible position.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
If y'all had a choice between Fredericksburg and Richmond, which city would you pick? I guess I want to know if Fredericksburg has some sort of edge over Richmond due to being located closer to D.C.
I'd choose Richmond. I don't think Fredericksburg gets some kind of "effect" from its (marginal) proximity to DC. Fredericksburg is its own place. Richmond is a larger city with more in the way of arts, entertainment, dining, etc. Fredericksburg has the not-nice nickname of "Frednecksburg" (I know of Mary Washington students who use this term) that comes from it being more rural and conservative than NoVA.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:07 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
At one time I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for Richmond but this city has gone through many changes over the last 20-25 years. Some very nice areas in and around the city and traffic, for being a city, is nowhere near as bad as NOVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia