Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 06:11 PM

947 posts, read 1,405,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, but it's Channel 7, they make mistakes. A lot. I caught one the other day , can't remember what it was, that made me shake my head. The other stations do, too.

Remember, the news dudette is at the mercy of whomever wrote what she's reading off the teleprompter.
Right, and now that Gordon Peterson's retired and the idiots at Sinclair Broadcasting axed first Leon Harris and now Maureen Bunyan, your just know the newscast is going to be more professional. Can't wait to see what blow-dried airheads they'll hire to replace the experienced pro's they got rid of.

I've gone off-topic, I know, but local news around here is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 08:18 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,125,287 times
Sometimes there is a 59- minute release which sometimes is formal and other times not so formal.

Drove inbound on 395 north at 3:30 today and southbound was already very busy. Northbound only was jammed by Ft Belvoir on 95 and Newington was all red ( traffic).

Not sure if Belvoir let out early or if one place can cause that much traffic but it was slow from Lorton thru until Springfield but that was the only spot ( northbound) at 3:30.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,905,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
We didn't get an early release and I'm fed govt.
No early release for this Govie Family

Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 PM

989 posts, read 2,860,075 times
I didn't get an early release. My husband was given 59 minutes. I was at a government agency today where their p people were cut loose three hours early. Maybe the reporters got wind of that.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:40 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,694,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
I didn't get an early release. My husband was given 59 minutes. I was at a government agency today where their p people were cut loose three hours early. Maybe the reporters got wind of that.
That's probably it. I just wonder how agencies do that.

In order to be an official 3 hours release, they actually have to get approval to issue administrative leave. That's why the 59 minutes is mostly done and it has to be "unofficial" and done at a manager level. Weird.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:34 AM

45,571 posts, read 60,857,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
That's probably it. I just wonder how agencies do that.

In order to be an official 3 hours release, they actually have to get approval to issue administrative leave. That's why the 59 minutes is mostly done and it has to be "unofficial" and done at a manager level. Weird.
And people wonder why you GS types are pilloried about your jobs.

Note that I don't do that but non-govermental people get wind of things like this and open up with all their guns.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:39 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,694,394 times
Quote:

Note that I don't do that but non-govermental people get wind of things like this and open up with all their guns.
I can understand that feeling. For what it's worth, I have been a government work for 10 years and, NOT ONCE, have I ever gotten a 3 hour early dismissal. My mother, who worked for Commerce, did get something like that occasionally. Most of the reason for her dismissal was due to being at the Main Commerce building, which is in the heart of everything and it was often beneficial to DC to get them out of the city for certain functions. Now that telework is more widespread, there is more of that happening versus granting early releases.

The "59 Minute" thing is an option provided to managers to use as a "job well done" or as a commute mitigator on certain unexpected things. For instance, during a NATS game, if you work at DoT which is right next to the stadium and there is a 4:00 release on the game, they will often let their folks take 59 minutes to give them the extra time to get out of the city knowing that all the roads are clogged as well as the Metro.

Prior to my civil service, I worked for private sector (but my funding came from the government) and let me tell you, there was FAR more "goodies" provided there. Sometimes I think I need my head examined for taking a government job!!!

Old 01-14-2017, 10:14 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,743,870 times
Quote:

Note that I don't do that but non-governmental people get wind of things like this and open up with all their guns.
It comes down to this: Are most gov duties continuous and repetitive, like plucking chickens, riveting doors on a car, or telling airplanes where to land--so that less work gets done when employees are released early?

Or are most federal jobs fluid and project-based, so that the end result is what matters versus time devoted to it?

For most of us, it's the latter. When we're released early or given a snow day, does any less work get done? No. We just do it some other time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Not sure if Belvoir let out early or if one place can cause that much traffic but it was slow from Lorton thru until Springfield but that was the only spot ( northbound) at 3:30.
Belvoir has about 30 different agencies on it, not counting others nearby. Even within agencies, it can vary between department, based on what its head honcho decides.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:24 AM

45,571 posts, read 60,857,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
It comes down to this: Are most gov duties continuous and repetitive, like plucking chickens, riveting doors on a car, or telling airplanes where to land--so that less work gets done when employees are released early?

Or are most federal jobs fluid and project-based, so that the end result is what matters versus time devoted to it?

For most of us, it's the latter. When we're released early or given a snow day, does any less work get done? No. We just do it some other time.

Belvoir has about 30 different agencies on it, not counting others nearby. Even within agencies, it can vary between department, based on what its head honcho decides.
All of which I understand, many don't.

Do you want to know who ******* and complains the most about GS in my little corner of the world? The private contractors working at NAVAIR at NAS PAX. Jesus, those guys hate y'all.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:27 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,743,870 times
Quote:
All of which I understand, many don't.

Do you want to know who ******* and complains the most about GS in my little corner of the world? The private contractors working at NAVAIR at NAS PAX. Jesus, those guys hate y'all.
Yeah, and they're probably making 25% more than we do--yet a good number will try to burrow into GS positions for the stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia