Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 03:05 PM

21 posts, read 19,602 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm likely to move to Northern Virginia with office in Ashburn. Unfortunately, all the apartments in Ashburn we saw were either "assisted living" or "we need a senior in the family" type.

Need help with:

1. Which one has bigger Indian community, grocery and restaurants - Fairfax or Ashburn?
2. High Schools in Fairfax and Ashburn are rated 8 out of 10. Any preference?
3. Apartment rentals for 3 bed/2bath - any suggestions?
4. Traffic - Even though I'm from NJ, I find the DC traffic worse, especially on 495. Is the Fairfax traffic better?
5. Lastly, read about Fair Oaks Mall..any such near Ashburn?

Thanks in advance. Apologies for the demographics question....it's from my better half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 PM

313 posts, read 553,315 times
Plenty of malls near Ashburn. If you like to shop the Leesburg Outlets are a great place to go and you'll also have access to numerous strip malls and the like. Dulles Town Center, Brambleton, etc...

As far as traffic, Fairfax is worse than Ashburn, but Ashburn is no picnic either. People wanted their privacy so instead of a grid system encouraging traffic flow you get cul-de-sac after cul-de-sac with few through streets. The major thoroughfares (Loudoun County Parkway, Route 7, etc get pretty busy during the evening and morning commutes.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:31 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
If you live in Ashburn, traffic will not be a huge problem. Waxpool, Rt 7, and 28 are the roads with heaviest traffic. Schools are good (we had one kid graduate there, and the second will graduate this year). Dulles Towne center mall is right next to Ashburn.

If you're working in Ashburn, I can't see a reason to live in Fairfax city. (Note: you said Fairfax without specifying city or county. I assumed city because you were referring to Fair Oaks. Fair Oaks mall is actually in the county, but it's close to the city. The county is huge. When you say Fairfax, that could mean anywhere from Mt. Vernon to Herndon.). Traffic from areas of Fairfax county nearest to Ashburn is heavy, but not so bad. Further out than that will mean heavy traffic, especially if you have to use 28 and Waxpool to get there.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 AM

21 posts, read 19,602 times
@dkf747 & Badger21 - Thank you for the inputs. Have also checked with other friends in that area and what you say makes more sense. I'm zeroing in on Stone Bridge High School area in Ashburn. The apartment rentals in Fairfax are also slightly higher compared to Ashburn. Will finalize the move in a couple of months..

Oh..almost forgot. The weather in Ashburn seems to be at least 5 to 7 degrees higher than the place I live in NJ...so much so it is 20 degrees higher now That'd be the biggest plus for me.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Poseidon3; 01-16-2017 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Added weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia