Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:25 AM

671 posts, read 1,122,981 times

Advertisements

So you (the OP) are the 'financial advisor' ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM

406 posts, read 627,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
So you (the OP) are the 'financial advisor' ?
No. I'm a client.

I did stay at a holiday inn express.

On a serious note, I'm research driven before I make decisions. So, I analyze everything.

Also, I went to school for accounting. Numbers and spreadsheets speak to me.

I hope this helps explain my response.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:22 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
It can easily be 10-12k+ per month around here. We had to put my father in a facility over an hour away to be able to afford it.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,994,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
It can easily be 10-12k+ per month around here. We had to put my father in a facility over an hour away to be able to afford it.
I think people are not putting enough emphasis on location. Is that what living in the Nova economic bubble does to people? Is it really necessary to stay in one of the biggest rat races well into retirement. Services are quite expensive there. We have posters making good money, who are just about broke from daycare...a daycare can run with far fewer expenses than a nursing home. Florida, Arizona, Texas...decent places. I was helping an 80 year old with Windows 10 yesterday...he is living here in Thailand on his 1400 per month SS. He's a happy camper and knows that his prospects would be kind of grim back in the US....I don't think he would have a good looking 40 year old GF, either. Look at Hermosillo Mexico...Sam's Club, Home Depot, pro baseball, and a top notch medical school. I know a top urologist in Reston, who went to md school at Guadalajara...then did residency at Georgetown. And don't get me started on the nova dental ripoffs...there are plenty of places, where it is not like that.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I think people are not putting enough emphasis on location. Is that what living in the Nova economic bubble does to people? Is it really necessary to stay in one of the biggest rat races well into retirement. Services are quite expensive there. We have posters making good money, who are just about broke from daycare...a daycare can run with far fewer expenses than a nursing home. Florida, Arizona, Texas...decent places. I was helping an 80 year old with Windows 10 yesterday...he is living here in Thailand on his 1400 per month SS. He's a happy camper and knows that his prospects would be kind of grim back in the US....I don't think he would have a good looking 40 year old GF, either. Look at Hermosillo Mexico...Sam's Club, Home Depot, pro baseball, and a top notch medical school. I know a top urologist in Reston, who went to md school at Guadalajara...then did residency at Georgetown. And don't get me started on the nova dental ripoffs...there are plenty of places, where it is not like that.
The appeal of long term care in this area would be proximity to the loved one. Obviously my father with Alzheimers doesn't know the difference between a facility in Fairfax or one hours away. The difference is visiting him would be much easier if he's closer. Did that concept completely fly over your head?

Old 01-25-2017, 12:01 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,994,231 times
No, but I don't think anyone is a martyr for having a parent an hour or two away to save a ton of money (or prevent massive debt). For those, who would have to take a 75% pay cut to leave their mid-level management position with the government to work in the flyover area, that's the way the Girl Scout Cookies crumble. High wages=very high cost for services. Look at how difficult it is for a foreigner with a nursing degree to get a visa for the US. It's the State Departments dirty secret...most of the US can't tell you what STEM stands for....Coronary bypass is 1500 in India, about 100,000 in the US....drug prices even relatively more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia