Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 PM

28 posts, read 23,773 times

Advertisements

So, I was at an intersection with a school bus on the left of me stopped at a stop sign. She didn't have the red stop sign on the bus and I started to turn. As I was turning she put up the sign, honked at me and wrote something down....I'm guessing my license plate number? So I backed up and waited. I feel so horrible. Now I'm reading about that I can possibly be summoned to court? And receive a large fine? The was a complete accident. Has this happpened to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 07:43 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,432,128 times
Yes you can be summoned to court for making lame click bait titles. And fined. Good luck.

Nothing will come of your situation. The driver would have to forward the information to police, who would then have to serve you to come to court, who would have to have video or something beyond the driver just saying it was you...etc.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:18 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,729,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Yes you can be summoned to court for making lame click bait titles. And fined. Good luck.

Nothing will come of your situation. The driver would have to forward the information to police, who would then have to serve you to come to court, who would have to have video or something beyond the driver just saying it was you...etc.
Depending on the school system, school buses have cameras on those stop signs now to catch people driving past them. Arlington, Manassas and Falls Church are the ones I know of.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:54 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,432,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Depending on the school system, school buses have cameras on those stop signs now to catch people driving past them. Arlington, Manassas and Falls Church are the ones I know of.
Yes? Which is why I said "would have to have video of you." The court can't just say there is video someone has to go in there and extract the relevant section of tape, get your license plate, look it up, send out the notice etc. You could probably also subpoena the bus driver too.

So it would be a great system for sending out automated notices and making some easy money off people who mail it in, but as for an actual conviction in court...very difficult I'd think.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,985,474 times
Something isn't right here. Do you mean the bus was perpendicular to you at a four way intersection? Were it's yellow lights flashing? Then the red ones? Depends on where you were but it can be very serious.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 AM

855 posts, read 626,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter9453 View Post
So, I was at an intersection with a school bus on the left of me stopped at a stop sign. She didn't have the red stop sign on the bus and I started to turn. As I was turning she put up the sign, honked at me and wrote something down....I'm guessing my license plate number? So I backed up and waited. I feel so horrible. Now I'm reading about that I can possibly be summoned to court? And receive a large fine? The was a complete accident. Has this happpened to anyone?
So just to clarify, she didn't put up her sign or start flashing her lights until after you had already started moving?

-

Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM

The yellow lights were flashing, but because I was on the bus's R side, perpendicular to it, I couldn't see the L light flashing and thought it was a turning signal. As I started turning to the left, where the bus was traveling in opposite direction, the sign went up. I panicked and stopped, backed up a little but was worried to back up some more and just put my car in park and waited until the kids were off the bus and cleared.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:49 PM

855 posts, read 626,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter9453 View Post
The yellow lights were flashing, but because I was on the bus's R side, perpendicular to it, I couldn't see the L light flashing and thought it was a turning signal. As I started turning to the left, where the bus was traveling in opposite direction, the sign went up. I panicked and stopped, backed up a little but was worried to back up some more and just put my car in park and waited until the kids were off the bus and cleared.
Oh, okay, I see what you're saying.

Yes, that would be an easy -- and quite understandable -- mistake to make
when approaching the bus from that particular angle.

I don't know how often that sort of thing occurs, but it might be reason
enough for the bus designers to devise a way of lighting up the bus more
obviously when boarding/un-boarding is about to occur, so that there's no
doubt when approaching the bus from any angle.

-

Old 03-30-2017, 03:06 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,985,474 times
There are at least a dozen yellow lights flashing before the red ones start flashing. Sounds like you weren't paying attention (to the road, anyway), and then panicked. You were like a deer in headlights. If you saw her writing your plate down, then you were right in front of her. What if it was your kid getting off that bus...wouldn't you want dangerous drivers prosecuted?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:17 AM

You're right, that is a dangerous situation. I'm always very careful around buses....I don't know what happened this time....I feel horrible about. It was such an awekward situation. I just don't know what to expect. We are new to Virginia and I'm reading about the consequences and having anxiety about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia