Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 09:00 PM

27 posts, read 54,038 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job in downtown D.C. I currently live in the suburbs of VA in the Reston area. I'm single, childfree and bored to death living in the suburbs.

So I'm going move closer to the city, but I still want to stay on the VA side. I have my heart set on finding an apartment to rent at the Atrium Apartments or the 1800 Oak Apartments in Rosslyn because both places are close a grocery store and only a couple of blocks away from the Rosslyn metro station.

Are there other areas, in the NoVA area that are walking distance from a metro station, that I should look at? I'm not into partying, but I'm not dead yet either. I'm in my late 30s, childfree, pet-free and a happily single woman.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 05:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,102,173 times
Crystal city and old Alexandria come to mind but Rosyln appears to have more amenities and a university. But maybe the cost is higher too than in crystal city.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:34 AM

153 posts, read 173,851 times
I work in Rosslyn. While the area has notably improved over the past few years, it's still pretty dead after business hours. I sense you're looking for areas with a little more life and activity.

I have two suggestions for you. If you want to stay on the Orange Line, then look at Ballston. If you don't mind being a little further away from downtown D.C. on the Yellow Line, then look at the area of Old Town Alexandria adjacent to the Braddock Road Metro. I think you'll find either suitable in terms of age demographics, nearby amenities and activities, and housing budget (assuming a studio or 1 bedroom here).

Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Crystal city and old Alexandria come to mind but Rosyln appears to have more amenities and a university. But maybe the cost is higher too than in crystal city.
One of my friends used to live in Crystal City, but moved because there is NO social life there. It's a dead town. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 04-08-2017, 11:27 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,775,771 times
I think Old Town Alexandria is right up your alley.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:56 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,897 times
Why don't you want to live in DC?

Old 04-08-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Why don't you want to live in DC?

Parking is a headache and I get less apartment space and amenities for my money if I picked a place in DC compared to living on the VA side.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:33 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd290 View Post
Parking is a headache and I get less apartment space and amenities for my money if I picked a place in DC compared to living on the VA side.
Thanks. Those things may be offset by the time you save in commuting and going out to do things of interest to people around 40 in DC. Crystal City and Clarendon etc probably have more renters in the 20-30 age range. Someone I know who is closer to your age recently moved from there to U St in DC and is happier there. Old Town may be as expensive as comparable areas in DC, because it's a great area.

If you don't have to be right on a metro line, you might like Fairlington. It's quiet, but there is a mix of ages, and people I know who live there are very social. You would not be far from Shirlington Village, which has good restaurants and bars.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Thanks. Those things may be offset by the time you save in commuting and going out to do things of interest to people around 40 in DC. Crystal City and Clarendon etc probably have more renters in the 20-30 age range. Someone I know who is closer to your age recently moved from there to U St in DC and is happier there. Old Town may be as expensive as comparable areas in DC, because it's a great area.

If you don't have to be right on a metro line, you might like Fairlington. It's quiet, but there is a mix of ages, and people I know who live there are very social. You would not be far from Shirlington Village, which has good restaurants and bars.

I started checking out Old Town Alexandria based off the feedback I got on this thread. It looks like The Asher Apartments would be my best bet if I choose to move to over there rather than my original idea of moving to the Rosslyn area. I just wish The Asher had a balcony, but that's not a big deal.

I really want to stay on a metro line because my new place of employment will just a couple of blocks away from a few metro stations. I would take the Yellow line if I move to Old Town Alexandria or I would take the Orange/Blue/Sliver line if I decide to select an apartment near the Rosslyn metro. The cost of these apartments are about the same (2K/month for a 1 bedroom).

Here are my pros & cons for an apartment located next to the Rosslyn metro station:

Pros: I can walk to Georgetown, walking distance to Safeway, garage parking, safe area, and just a 10 minute drive to go hiking (Billy Goat Trail, MD), some friends live off the Orange line

Cons: Cost of rent

Pros & Cons for an apartment (The Asher) next to Braddock Road metro station:

Pros: Old Town Alexandria, walking distance to Trader Joe's, garage parking

Cons: No balcony, the area isn't as safe (based off reviews) as the area in Rosslyn, longer drive to go for a hike after work, cost of rent

I'm really not that big of a social butterfly and I am a homebody about 50% of the time...so having a ton of options to do things isn't going to be THAT important to me. Ideally, I would like to live in a location that 1) is walking distance to a metro station, 2) Safe, 3) is less than a 30 minute drive to a place where I can walk/hike in the woods and 4) a place where people are friendly and not snobby....of course, that's hit or miss in the D.C. area depending on where you go!

Old 04-11-2017, 11:39 AM

857 posts, read 845,751 times
Not sure as to what crime stats you looked at in Old Town but having lived here (close to Braddock metro) last few years, I have not had any issues. Of course, give or take any area, if one is wondering around at 2-3am, there is a likelihood of bad things happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia