Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:44 AM

407 posts, read 372,063 times

Advertisements

The rumor mill at One Loudoun is saying that Trader Joe's will take over the FM space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 10:26 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,586,937 times
It's not terribly surprising to me that they're leaving. The marketing of the brand itself hasn't been all that great. Honestly, I didn't even know (or had forgotten) they were there in general. Other than monster sized donuts, I really don't know much about them.

I suspect rent plays into the equation here too for FM. If timing is right, they should be coming up to their 5 year lease period, which may have been a trigger point for a rent bump to occur. Not a knock on One Loudoun, it is nice, but the prices I have seen in there just stun me sometimes for what you get. I don't understand it and don't see the appeal myself, but that's just my own opinion and clearly not a popular one given the success of the project thus far.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,323,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Well, Giant and Safeway are the 800-pound gorillas in the room, but there are others with whom Publix would have difficulty in SFW, Costco, Walmart, Trader Joe's, Harris Teeter, Wegman's, BJ's, Sam's, and even Aldi and H-Mart. LIDL has had eyes on the area as well. This is not an easy area to move into.
Aldi and Lidl are opening up stores across the street from one another in Broadlands...in an area that already has a Harris Teeter around every corner, plus Giant, Lotte, etc.

http://www.theburn.com/2017/03/10/go...ystery-solved/

http://www.theburn.com/2016/12/07/of...gn-broadlands/

Old 04-26-2017, 11:44 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,044,108 times
Good luck to them, but with the high household incomes, NoVa is one of the toughest grocery markets in the country. Everyone wants a piece of the action here.

Whjle it may be nice enough, at about 35 miles from DC, Broadlands may be better classified as part of an exurban fringe than as part of actual NoVa. Different rules may apply there.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 PM

91 posts, read 111,879 times
Too bad. Wegmans is our usual but we would run by Fresh Market at Loudoun One once in a while. There are too many grocery stores just packing up and leaving empty buildings. There's (more like there was) a Bloom on Belmont Ridge Road that packed up as soon as Leesburg Wegmans came in- it wasn't a surprise, Bloom knew Wegmans was coming when they decided to build it. It's been sitting empty since 2010ish.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,323,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Good luck to them, but with the high household incomes, NoVa is one of the toughest grocery markets in the country. Everyone wants a piece of the action here.

Whjle it may be nice enough, at about 35 miles from DC, Broadlands may be better classified as part of an exurban fringe than as part of actual NoVa. Different rules may apply there.
I know there is some contention about where the outer boundaries of NoVA lie, and we often have questions about places as far as Winchester and Fredericksburg, but Loudoun? The area around the last stop on the Silver Line borders Broadlands.

In fact, the original post in this thread is about a store closing in Ashburn (of which Broadlands is a part).

Old 04-28-2017, 12:25 PM

153 posts, read 174,482 times
This thread made me remember Fresh Fields...

Old 04-29-2017, 05:15 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,957 times
Update: The Fresh Market Has Closed. I drove by the One Loudoun store this afternoon to find out that they had sold out of all their inventory before their close date which was to be May 3rd.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:45 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,044,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I know there is some contention about where the outer boundaries of NoVA lie, and we often have questions about places as far as Winchester and Fredericksburg, but Loudoun? The area around the last stop on the Silver Line borders Broadlands. In fact, the original post in this thread is about a store closing in Ashburn (of which Broadlands is a part).
I'd submit that fixed and defined boundaries for NOVA are not necessary and if applied, might well be misleading. At the same time, I would suggest that NOVA-ness is in some way inversely related to distance from DC, and that virtually everywhere in Loudoun County receives but a faint signal at the moment, and still will after Phase-II is completed. WAWA maybe, but higher-end provisioners that have been looking to tap into the wealth that NOVA is noted for will not be primarily focused on the exurbs.

Last edited by Pub-911; 04-30-2017 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-30-2017, 10:18 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,631,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
From Loudoun Now One Loudoun Fresh Market Closing – Loudoun Now

This one really, really hurt. I liked shopping at this store because it was cheaper than Whole Foods. I never knew they were in financial trouble! I was just there last Tuesday and there was no indication at all that they were going under!

Anyway, I predict Whole Foods is going to be next. They are more expensive than Fresh Mart. If Fresh Market was hurting, then Whole Foods really must be hurting.

On a side note, I wonder what is going to fill the vacancy there? Is One Loudoun destined to be nothing but restaurants and a movie theater?
They're more comparable to the old Sutton Gourmet and Balducci's, the chain that took over some of Sutton's locations. Wegman's is in two locations near the Fresh Market that's closing. They have a section of the store that competes with the premium grocers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia