Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 AM

111 posts, read 147,608 times

Advertisements

We moving to the Woodbridge/Montclair area next month (June 2017). We are staying with friends until house sells or if doesn't sell, we may just have to do an apartment temporarily.

We are looking at homes that are zoned for the following high schools: Colgan, Osbourn Park, Forest Park and would do Woodbridge if we find a house we definitely love in that zone.

But there are so many elementary and middle schools that are zoned for those high schools. Any elementary or middle schools zoned to the high schools above that should be avoided? If so, why?

Thanks.

(PS=> I am pulling up the school data sheets, but just want a jump start so, I don't have to look through every school data sheet. Also, I don't really trust greatschools ratings as much, but understand their ratings are a good start/guide)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,690,470 times
If you buy a home that is zoned for the high schools listed, you will pretty much do okay. The exception *may* be Osbourn Park (or rather the middle schools that feed to OP). I am unsure of them, but some could be sketchy.

If you find a home in Woodbridge that you *love* think really hard about it. I have a home in Woodbridge and my kids started out in a Montclair elementary school (wonderful) but we were zoned for Rippon Middle and Potomac High School. We ended up going the private school route at that point. I should have just moved.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
If you buy a home that is zoned for the high schools listed, you will pretty much do okay. The exception *may* be Osbourn Park (or rather the middle schools that feed to OP). I am unsure of them, but some could be sketchy.

If you find a home in Woodbridge that you *love* think really hard about it. I have a home in Woodbridge and my kids started out in a Montclair elementary school (wonderful) but we were zoned for Rippon Middle and Potomac High School. We ended up going the private school route at that point. I should have just moved.

Thanks. I am being very careful. I have noticed that you really, really have to look at the full feeder pattern and hope a change doesn't occur in the future. There is no crystal ball to tell the future, but just have to do my best.

Curious.... what private school?

Old 05-10-2017, 11:19 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,899,259 times
Look into Benton Middle, which has kids that would eventually end up at Colgan (or Forest Park if the home is in Montclair etc)

Old 05-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnyc View Post
Thanks. I am being very careful. I have noticed that you really, really have to look at the full feeder pattern and hope a change doesn't occur in the future. There is no crystal ball to tell the future, but just have to do my best.

Curious.... what private school?
Even though we are non-Catholic, we ended up using Aquinas for middle school and Paul the VI and John Paul for high school.

We wished and wished for a boundary redraw for us and even though lots of new neighborhoods got built, we never shifted.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:42 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,120,459 times
As your backup of woodbridge high ( in lake ridge) don't know of any elementary or middle schools to avoid. Woodbridge has changed since losing a third of the students to Colgan but many of those were good students. The relief of over population has been a welcomed outcome.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Look into Benton Middle, which has kids that would eventually end up at Colgan (or Forest Park if the home is in Montclair etc)

Benton also goes to Osbourn Park and Forest Park. Therefore, one middle school feeds three different high schools.

I am making the feeder patterns on a spreadsheet and it is very confusing if you don't lay it out. For example, Penn ES feeds into Benton MS and Beville MS. From Benton can go into Colgan HS, Osbourn Park HS or Forest Park HS. Beville feeds into Colgan.

Granted these are all good schools, so probably doesn't matter really in the long run and who knows the zoning pattern in 7 yrs when my oldest finally goes to high school.

Last edited by davidnyc; 05-10-2017 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 06:59 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,899,259 times
Quote:
Benton also goes to Osbourn Park and Forest Park. Therefore, one middle school feeds three different high schools.

I am making the feeder patterns on a spreadsheet and it is very confusing if you don't lay it out. For example, Penn ES feeds into Benton MS and Beville MS. From Benton can go into Colgan HS, Osbourn Park HS or Forest Park HS. Beville feeds into Colgan.

Granted these are all good schools, so probably doesn't matter really in the long run and who knows the zoning pattern in 7 yrs when my oldest finally goes to high school.
Yeah this part of PWC really is a bermuda triangle of school zoning. I wasn't aware Beville fed into Colgan, which is crazy as Hylton is probably half the distance

Old 05-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Is Beville really okay? I feel like it's in a fairly sketchy area of Dale City.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:55 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,120,459 times
Quote:

The online mapping has the ability to click school " levels so you can more easily see which school district covers which neighborhoods.

Browser Not Supported
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia