Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:15 PM

26 posts, read 51,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
You are missing focus.

(Disclaimer: I am a Realtor)

Decide on one or two areas, based on your most critical criteria, and stick with them.

Although it is at the end of your list, the commute should be at the top since you say you hate anything over 30 minutes. You also want space – to not be on top of your neighbors – so let’s assume at least ¼ acre (which by default gives you a yard).

You specified 3-4 bedrooms but in the area that best satisfies your commute time criteria (Potomac Falls, 20165 & 20166 Zip Codes) you will actually get five beds, about 3,000sf, and pay $650K to $700K.

If you like the Potomac Falls area, ask your agent to search MRIS with these criteria:

Zip Codes: 20165,20166 (Loudoun)
Bedrooms: 3+
Tax Living Area: >2500
List Price: 750-
Lot Acres: .25-1

The attached map shows the locations of the 5 that come up.

The horizontal (east/west) yellow road is Leesburg Pike/Rte 7. The vertical yellow roads below it, beginning to the left of the Sterling text, are: Rte 28; Sterling Blvd; Fairfax County Parkway (286); annd Hunter Mill Rd. Reston Parkway is the first gray road to the right of Fairfax County Parkway. Dulles Toll Road (267) is the blue horizontal road below them all.

Warp Drive is directly left of the lower left corner of the green park (Claude More Park) which is to the right of Rte 28. Worldgate is approx. midway between Rte 28 and Fairfax County Parkway, abutting the Dulles Toll Rd. Based on the many miles I have logged in those areas, the commute to/from Warp Drive will be quickest. Worldgate is farther and obviously longer -- however there are back roads around traffic.

There is shopping on and around Leesburg Pike and a big Wegmans right off 28 (Waxpool).

Your Realtor has probably told you all this and can tell you much more. I will only reiterate: Focus on one or two areas that make the most sense in terms of commute and desired space; then add in all the other criteria.

Good luck with your search.
Ha! Me lacking focus in an understatement. I'm up here this week looking again. I just can't seem to find anything that feels homey, which is the key reason I can't focus on 1-2 areas. Once I settle on a neighborhood, I dig deeper and find all kinds of flaws. Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 01:03 PM

633 posts, read 1,017,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSean View Post
Thanks jillybean720! We looked in Cascades and liked it a lot. Our only concern was how far it was from a metro station in case my husband has to work at Tysons or DC eventually.

I've been joining community Facebook pages and asking all kinds of questions there, too. People are so incredibly helpful!
Overwhelmed? Ha... sorry, but that was funny. You don't even live here yet...

$750K is a healthy budget, you *shouldn't* have a problem finding something suitable.

Cascades area is nice.

Hate to tell you, but Ashburn was not around in the 80s. It was farmland then. Try 90s and up. Ashburn Village area is very nice, wonderful diverse community and lots of activities for your kids. Broadlands is nice. Potomac Falls is nice. Belmont Country Club area is nice, but that is almost in Leesburg. Oak Hill is nice too - back in Fairfax County.

Sounds like you have had long commutes, you won't be escaping that here unless you live next door to your office, trust me. Can't predict the weather, traffic accidents and sometimes there is just volume from who knows what.

As for trying to anticipate where your husband is going to work in the future and figuring that into the equation, maybe consult a fortune teller?

Sounds like you are over analyzing everything and getting frantic. Any of the places you said you looked would be great for you and your family.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:07 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,263,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSean View Post
Ha! Me lacking focus in an understatement. I'm up here this week looking again. I just can't seem to find anything that feels homey, which is the key reason I can't focus on 1-2 areas. Once I settle on a neighborhood, I dig deeper and find all kinds of flaws. Thanks for the feedback.
Have you seen this house?
12011 WALNUT BRANCH RD, RESTON, VA 20194 | MLS FX9957973 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia