Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:20 PM

550 posts, read 375,253 times

Advertisements

As others mentioned, public transit is limited in the Fairfax suburban areas. Many buses outside of AM and PM peak rush hours only run hourly (during rush hours typically every 20-30 minutes), most routes are spokes toward the city of Arlington/Alexandria/DC (the Fairfax City CUE circulator buses to GMU are an exception), and service is limited in the evenings and weekends and non-existent late at night/wee AM. If public transit is important to you, before picking a neighborhood, here are the websites for the bus services, so you can avoid time wasting bus transfers with infrequent running bus routes:
- Fairfax Connector https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/routes/. Most bus routes west of Fairfax City are Connector buses which includes Centreville.
- Metrobus https://www.wmata.com/schedules/time...s.cfm?State=VA Most, but not all, bus routes east of Fairfax City are Metrobuses which includes Burke.
- Fairfax City/GMU CUE Bus City-University Energysaver (CUE) Bus System | City of Fairfax, VA
Also helpful
- Trip Planner https://www.wmata.com/schedules/trip-planner/ which works with all bus systems above after enter starting point, destination, and time and day of week of travel.
- Service Nearby https://www.wmata.com/schedules/service-nearby/ Enter your address, shows bus routes and stops within a mile of an address and walking directions to the bus stop.

Another suggestion to allow some travel flexibility without your own car, use the buses for the part of trip that the service works reasonably well for you, and for the part of the trip it does not, use Uber or Lyft car services. Except in the very wee AM hours, using your smartphone to request a ride, cars typically will show up within 10 minutes in suburban areas. Fares are about 2/3 of the price of a traditional taxi. Trip cost estimators are at the services websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 02:43 PM

52 posts, read 77,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Will you be working in Fairfax?
Yes, it’s very safe with very good schools. You would be able to find a very nice (even new) home in a Fairfax or nearby Oakton or Burke neighborhood.
There are some public transit options within Fairfax which center on the bus system (Cue mainly).
Yes. I will be working in Fairfax. I'm not used to commuting and heavy traffic, hence the strong desire to use public transportation.

I know that any city near a major metro will have their fair share of crime. Are there any particular areas to avoid?

I've heard of Arlington, VA being a good place to go to in terms of ethnic grocery stores and restaurants. Are there any particularly good East Asian grocery stores and restaurants?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2017, 02:44 PM

52 posts, read 77,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
As others mentioned, public transit is limited in the Fairfax suburban areas. Many buses outside of AM and PM peak rush hours only run hourly (during rush hours typically every 20-30 minutes), most routes are spokes toward the city of Arlington/Alexandria/DC (the Fairfax City CUE circulator buses to GMU are an exception), and service is limited in the evenings and weekends and non-existent late at night/wee AM. If public transit is important to you, before picking a neighborhood, here are the websites for the bus services, so you can avoid time wasting bus transfers with infrequent running bus routes:
- Fairfax Connector https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/routes/. Most bus routes west of Fairfax City are Connector buses which includes Centreville.
- Metrobus https://www.wmata.com/schedules/time...s.cfm?State=VA Most, but not all, bus routes east of Fairfax City are Metrobuses which includes Burke.
- Fairfax City/GMU CUE Bus City-University Energysaver (CUE) Bus System | City of Fairfax, VA
Also helpful
- Trip Planner https://www.wmata.com/schedules/trip-planner/ which works with all bus systems above after enter starting point, destination, and time and day of week of travel.
- Service Nearby https://www.wmata.com/schedules/service-nearby/ Enter your address, shows bus routes and stops within a mile of an address and walking directions to the bus stop.

Another suggestion to allow some travel flexibility without your own car, use the buses for the part of trip that the service works reasonably well for you, and for the part of the trip it does not, use Uber or Lyft car services. Except in the very wee AM hours, using your smartphone to request a ride, cars typically will show up within 10 minutes in suburban areas. Fares are about 2/3 of the price of a traditional taxi. Trip cost estimators are at the services websites.
Thanks very much. This was extremely helpful.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:35 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gronkforlife View Post
Yes. I will be working in Fairfax. I'm not used to commuting and heavy traffic, hence the strong desire to use public transportation.

I know that any city near a major metro will have their fair share of crime. Are there any particular areas to avoid?

I've heard of Arlington, VA being a good place to go to in terms of ethnic grocery stores and restaurants. Are there any particularly good East Asian grocery stores and restaurants?

Thanks
I you are working in Fairfax, the idea of living farther in would be an add choice unless you are a young single person. I’d you are looking to live inside the loop while commuting to Fairfax, your public transport options will be even slimmer since you will be doing a reverse commute.

City of Fairfax has no areas to avoid. There is effectively no crime outside of the occasional bad check or elderly scam. A coin shop having 2 coins stolen made news last week. Arlington has pockets of crime. Others would know more than me. I’ve lived in the area considered by many to be the least safe part of Northern Virginia (Culmore). It wasn’t that bad. I never felt unsafe.

There are Asian grocery stores everywhere. In City of Fairfax there is H-Mart supermarket. Out towards Centreville, there is Lotte. Eden Center in Falls Church has a variety of small shops and restaurants. Plenty to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia