Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 05:58 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I like FCC better than Vienna. Its more walkable. FCC is 2 sq miles and surrounds the Rt7 corridor. Vienna is spread out Both are family oriented. I know its really splitting hairs but IMO Vienna is a bit more McMansion Lexus suv status-y while
FCC is more NPR Volvo stationwagon types lol
Definitely this. FCC also is more liberal in general with the most liberal representative in the nation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Yet "liberal" FCC has fallen victim to TEA Party propaganda and begun backing off on funding for its once excellent city school system.

And the place has come more and more under the thumb of developers. As small as it is, FCC cannot expand horizontally anymore, so it's trying to expand vertically instead. Could end up being a latter-day version of Ballston, but if the likes of Tinner Hill are an indicator, it's not really going all that well.

Vienna of course has issues of its own. How to avoid being gobbled up or paved over by Tysons expansions has to be an important one. But town government has championed the "small town feel" for quite a long time. I doubt they'll give that up easily.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,566 times
I personally love Vienna, but I think both areas are great.

Both have great schools, Falls Church HS is probably the only school in the area that I would personally avoid.

Vienna in my opinion has a more family-friendly, small-town feel, but that's of course just my opinion.

Falls Church is often more convenient for commuting into the city.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Could end up being a latter-day version of Ballston, but if the likes of Tinner Hill are an indicator, it's not really going all that well.
Can you explain to me what is going on with Tinner Hill please? I pass it weekly and it seems OK to me but I do not spend any time in that area.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
I personally love Vienna, but I think both areas are great.

Falls Church HS is probably the only school in the area that I would personally avoid.

Falls Church HS is not in Falls Church City

Thats like saying Falls Church High School is in Bethesda Maryland or Vienna Virginia

Old 05-22-2017, 01:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Can you explain to me what is going on with Tinner Hill please? I pass it weekly and it seems OK to me but I do not spend any time in that area.
This is a year old but has some info

[url]https://fcnp.com/2016/06/01/unconfirmed-report-fresh-market-tinner-hill-project/[/url]

Falls Church News Press is the newspaper for FCC and good to peruse for info on the area..

Old 05-22-2017, 04:59 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
This is a year old but has some info

https://fcnp.com/2016/06/01/unconfir...-hill-project/

Falls Church News Press is the newspaper for FCC and good to peruse for info on the area..
Good info. Thank you.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:38 PM

7 posts, read 13,933 times
Falls Church City is quite progressive (Romney got less than 30% of the vote), so the notion that "tea party propaganda" is catching on here gives me a chuckle. The Falls Church News Press is progressive to the point of being hateful against conservatives.

My family likes FCC in spite of its politics and atrocious local paper. The schools have been great for our kids so far.
Vienna is a pleasant town, but I prefer the pre-World War II architecture, smaller lots, and closer-in location of FCC. The main drawbacks to FCC are probably traffic (probably no worse than nearby areas) and the ever-higher property taxes.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:14 AM

12 posts, read 15,191 times
I would go with Vienna for many reasons. Main reason being easy access
to route 29, route 50, i66, i495, Tyson's Corner mall and backroads (Lawyers Road)
to Reston. Most every street has sidewalks. Everyone says Vienna has a small town feel but just remember everyone is as high strung here as other places.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcomisky View Post
My family is relocating to the D.C. area and we have narrowed our search down to Vienna or Falls Church (there was a similar post on here from 2009 but I wanted to see if anyone had any updates). It seems like both towns are very nice with Vienna having slightly better school rankings. We have a 10 year old, 8 year old and 1 year old. I am in sales and will have a territory mainly inside the495 loop and my husband will be taking the metro into the city.
I was just curious if anyone had any insight on the overall differences in the towns or the good and bad points of each. Thank you for any information!
I would recommend FC.

I think it has more character, is better connected (less traffic), better access to metro, greater variety of surrounding neighborhoods (uber expensive to affordable) and closer to both DC and Arlington both nice areas to visit.

Schools are about equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia