Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 3,191 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I am hoping somebody local has some inside knowledge on how I can ditch Comcast (Xfinity).

I have been living in Warrenton, Virginia (zip code 20186) for about a year now and I would enjoy saying goodbye to Xfinity as my internet service provider. I've checked with FIOS and Cox and it looks like neither service my area. It causes me great sorrow to think that Comcast holds a monopoly in quality broadband over my area for all intents and purposes.

I don't need tv, I don't need a phone, but what I do need is broadband internet speeds that are at least 20Mbps download for a reasonable amount of money. Verizon provides DSL at near-dial up speeds, so that is a no-go. Satellite has latency issues that make streaming video a nightmare. I can talk Comcast down to $50 from $75, but I'd honestly rather give my money to someone else. Anyone else. Preferably a local cable internet service provider here in the Piedmont.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Condolences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 12:43 AM

26,702 posts, read 41,834,200 times
Pretty much condolences is all I have for you. I have one of my reps who works remotely from Warrenton and pretty much her choices are Comcast or nothing. She did say that Windstream serviced some of Warrenton but don't get your hopes up, since it was very limited.

I completely sympathize with you on Comcast. I picked my current place in Arlington over others because it was a FIOS area over a Comcast area.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:00 AM

Thank you for the Windstream tip - and the condolences. I had not heard of them, so I'll check them out.

I'm impressed by your foresight in choosing your area based on whether Comcast is your provider

Old 05-26-2017, 06:11 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,968,121 times
When FIOS came to my area, I couldn't sign up fast enough. Comcast had the absolute worse customer service. My breaking point was when they told me there was an outage in my subdivision. I guess it never occurred to them I would get off my arse and go door-to-door asking if they had Comcast service.

Since I've been with Verizon, my only complaint is cost and their lack of rewards for loyal customers. In 10 years, the only issue I have had is a faulty remote control. I don't think I've ever had a service call. Have you called to see if FiOS is on the drawing board?

Old 05-27-2017, 09:23 AM

I haven't checked with Verizon to see if they have any plans for expanding service into Fauquier County. Until then it looks like I'm going to be stuck with Comcast. Oh well, first world problems and all of that. Thanks everyone for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: