Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,763,794 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be heading to Summit Point, WV, tomorrow morning.

From Arlington/Falls Church, should I take 66W to I-81 N? Or should I take the Dulles toll road to Route 7 all the way (which is about 30 miles shorter)?

My main concern is avoiding traffic and accidents.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:22 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,516,628 times
Hello, I live in Falls Church and drove out to Martinsburg West Virginia twice last year. Both times I took Route 7 and had no problem. I bypassed most of 7 through Tysons each time though.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Hello, I live in Falls Church and drove out to Martinsburg West Virginia twice last year. Both times I took Route 7 and had no problem. I bypassed most of 7 through Tysons each time though.
Thanks! Toll Road/Route 7 it is then.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:16 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thanks! Toll Road/Route 7 it is then.

My old stomping grounds for 2.5 years until coming back to my current agency. You will certainly be out in the country on this visit.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:46 AM

23 posts, read 23,346 times
Take 66W to the Dulles Toll Road to the Dulles Greenway to Route 7. Your total toll will be $5.55 since your are going against the Rush Hour flow. Alternatively, you can take the Dulles Toll Road to Route 28 to Route 7 and save $4.55.

Traffic might be a little heavy through Reston on the Toll Road, but once you get on the Greenway things should be pretty smooth. Route 28 to Route 7 will involve traffic lights and a bit of volume until Leesburg. Of course all of this depends on the time your are heading to Summit Point.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
My old stomping grounds for 2.5 years until coming back to my current agency. You will certainly be out in the country on this visit.
Just got back a while ago. Yeah--really beautiful out that way, especially tiny route 611 that takes you over the WVA border from Route 340.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMom View Post
Take 66W to the Dulles Toll Road to the Dulles Greenway to Route 7. Your total toll will be $5.55 since your are going against the Rush Hour flow. Alternatively, you can take the Dulles Toll Road to Route 28 to Route 7 and save $4.55.

Traffic might be a little heavy through Reston on the Toll Road, but once you get on the Greenway things should be pretty smooth. Route 28 to Route 7 will involve traffic lights and a bit of volume until Leesburg. Of course all of this depends on the time your are heading to Summit Point.
Thanks. That's exactly the route I took. I left at 6:15. I couldn't believe it only took me just over an hour each way! It was positively easy--just a handful of cars going west with me. Amazingly (to me anyway), there was traffic coming the other direction (east) into Leesburg.

I sure hope they don't keep developing Loudoun County. There's still a lot of old farms with cornfields and horses, old farmhouses, silos. It's nuts how much they've just started building once you hit the sign for Bumbleton.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-27-2017 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 02:41 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,307,447 times
Quote:
Just got back a while ago. Yeah--really beautiful out that way, especially tiny route 611 that takes you over the WVA border from Route 340.

Thanks. That's exactly the route I took. I left at 6:15. I couldn't believe it only took me just over an hour each way! It was positively easy--just a handful of cars going west with me. Amazingly (to me anyway), there was traffic coming the other direction (east) into Leesburg.

I sure hope they don't keep developing Loudoun County. There's still a lot of old farms with cornfields and horses, old farmhouses, silos. It's nuts how much they've just started building once you hit the sign for Bumbleton.

Hope in one hand and poop in the other. See what fills up quicker. (I know, terrible) I've been here since 73 and lived near the Loudoun line on Rt. 15 for the first 5 years then worked for the county for 30 so I could see the constant changes. Loudoun used to be very rural and just started expanding (exploding) back in the 80's and unfortunately I don't think it will slow down anytime soon.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,516,628 times
I found the drive through the area to be nice. There were some unique roadside vendors after Leesburg. One guy is selling honey and I should go get some and I stopped at some fashionable coffee/store/pastry shop and picked some things up on the way back. Past Leesburg it is beautiful land. The Dulles Town Center area is a mess but people shop there so...

Old 07-28-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Hope in one hand and poop in the other. See what fills up quicker.
Ok, I'm game. Stick out your hands!

(First heard that expression from my boss, a retired Army NCO full of hilarious sayings.)

Maybe eventually Virginia will set aside some unspoiled countryside like they did in Montgomery County.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:48 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,236,989 times
Quote:

Maybe eventually Virginia will set aside some unspoiled countryside like they did in Montgomery County.
Western Loudoun (west of Rt15) is currently protected from major development. Huge swaths of acerage in the Middleburg area is protected from ANY development.

http://landtrustva.org/our-work/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia