Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:24 AM

5,389 posts, read 7,253,427 times

Advertisements

A scan tool hooked into the OBD ought to tell your mechanic the code that translates to the specific problem. When my car's light came on and the engine was running kind of rough, it turned out to be one of the 6 ignition coils. Your mechanic is saying the tool doesn't show any codes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 PM

361 posts, read 740,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
A scan tool hooked into the OBD ought to tell your mechanic the code that translates to the specific problem. When my car's light came on and the engine was running kind of rough, it turned out to be one of the 6 ignition coils. Your mechanic is saying the tool doesn't show any codes?
No, I'm not even sure what the code was... was related to emissions. Mechanic did test the emissions system and all was okay. Replaced a bunch of stuff over several days to try to get the malfunction light to go off and stay off. By the time he was done, he said all that was left to replace was the computer part that controlled it. I plan to speak with him again before inspection.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 AM

960 posts, read 2,037,618 times
Find out what the code is, and head on over to the automotive section of City Data and post it, along with year and model of your car (and what the mechanic has actually done to it) and you'll likely get some pretty good advice that would at least point you in the right direction.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:56 PM

130 posts, read 283,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
What year is the car? I have an 89 Geo metro that gets 37 miles to the gallon. In 2012 I got a failure for excessive white smoke - I thought it was bogus as it was winter and any vapor looks like smoke when it's cold enough!

Anyway, I just put the car in the garage and covered it up until it was 25 years old and got "vintage car status" and was thus exempt from emissions inspections. I love tooling around in that car. I use it to go to work. fill it up with gas maybe once a month or so.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:57 PM

8 posts, read 4,878 times
if the car is 96 or newer you have to have an obdii test. 97 up for diesel.

Your mechanic is not competent in my opinion(no offense) You must pass a visual engine light test( must illuminate key on engine off and stay off when the car is running).

Then only one obdii monitor can be not "ready" unless you have a 96-2000 vehicle then 2 can be not ready. I've seen people tr to cheat the system by clearing codes, then immediately driving to an emissions inspection.

If you have a steady engine light on, you will most likely fail a rapid pass test. That is the WORST case scenario. You will likely need to pass both a obdii test AND a smog test( run on a dyno with exhaust analysis unless you are awd or non disengageable traction control).

I recommend fixing the engine light somewhere else. Then ask if you can get a printout of obdii monitors complete after a long road test( they may charge extra for that).

Good luck

Old 08-19-2017, 07:16 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,603,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
I have an older car with a check engine light that stays on. It is related to emissions. I had it serviced by a very reliable mechanic a couple months ago. He changed out a bunch of stuff and finally said the only thing left was the computer that controls the system. Meantime, he tested and found nothing wrong with the emissions system aside from the light staying on. He said it would be expensive to replace what is needed to "fix" it and didn't think it was advisable. My issue is that now inspection is due and I am worried that it will not pass. I don't know what to do. Do I have any options other than whatever is needed to get the light to stay out? Thanks in advance for any advice.
It will not pass safety with the CE light on. As others have said get the codes and look up on the internet for your car to double check your old mechanic. Depending on what you find go somewhere to get the fix or Get your old mechanic to turn off the light. You can possibly pull a fuse but there should be bulb that illuminates the dash warning lights.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:24 AM

8 posts, read 4,878 times
If the light itself is not illuminated you will still fail. The ecu sends signal to the instrument cluster to illuminate if there is a fault.

On top of that , an emissions inspector is required to see the light come on and turn off with the engine running.

You are better off putting a black electrical tape square over the engine loghy, because the result would be the same= a chuckle from the inspector and a failure.

Bottom line.....fix the car.

Or FAIL the test, spend the required amount for a waiver at a CERTIFIED repair facility(DEQ) and you can renew your tags even though the car is nit really repaired.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,015,559 times
Sounds like he forgot to clear the code, which is necessary even if the scanner shows nothing.

BTW, Rapidpass is a great idea. I was unaware of it until a few days ago -- when I received a letter from the VA DEQ stating that my vehicle was deemed "Clean" after passing through a checkpoint (I-66E, exit 55) on two occasions over a 3-month span. All I had to do was pay the $28 testing fee online and not worry about getting emissions testing done when I renew my registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
I have an older car with a check engine light that stays on. It is related to emissions. I had it serviced by a very reliable mechanic a couple months ago. He changed out a bunch of stuff and finally said the only thing left was the computer that controls the system. Meantime, he tested and found nothing wrong with the emissions system aside from the light staying on. He said it would be expensive to replace what is needed to "fix" it and didn't think it was advisable. My issue is that now inspection is due and I am worried that it will not pass. I don't know what to do. Do I have any options other than whatever is needed to get the light to stay out? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,650,267 times
Did you try replacing the gas cap?

Can you just get it inspected elsewhere? We don't do emissions testing in VA Beach.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:23 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
I used to have an older car that would fail because of this. They had a fluid called No Smoke or something like that you could dump into the crankcase with the oil and it would minimize the visible smoke. It would pass after doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia